Author Topic: Local Hatcheries?  (Read 196 times)

8greenbeans

Local Hatcheries?
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »
Do y'all know of any local hatcheries? A friend is specifically looking for meat birds (cornish cross or red rangers). She initially began at McMurray Hatchery but the shipping was $46 so she's looking for a cheaper route.

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

ProGeek

Re: Local Hatcheries?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 02:54:08 PM »
I use https://www.idealpoultry.com/ they are better for small quantities, but are in Texas.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 06:14:56 PM »
How many is she looking for?  There's one or 2 small guys in north GA but they are hit and miss as to when & volume from what I've seen on FB. 

Otherwise Meyer, Metzer Farms, Ideal,  Purely Poultry & Strombergs are really the only volume guys.  Shipping does get more expensive as it gets cooler since they need to pack warmers in the box.  I check most of them about every 3 months or so (as I dream, lol) and McMurray has always been cheaper in the end.  You might find cheaper shipping but the birds are more expensive so sometimes it's a wash but I've found most times, the other guys are more.  I don't know about the meat birds but sometimes McMurray's production birds are a bit smaller than the breed standards & I've heard the same complaint about either Meyer or Purely Poultry.  I will say that nobody has the variety that McMurray's has but for a quality bird, Metzer always comes out on top in all the groups I belong to...and you pay for it.  I've had great luck with McMurray - always live birds & the ducks were good quality, the Buff Orps were a bit small but I wasn't looking for size so I didn't care.   They also run longer into the fall than most everyone else.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

8greenbeans

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:47:59 AM »
Thanks y'all! I'll pass on the information to her.
Star - I'm not sure how many she is looking for but I'm making the assumption that it's at least 25 based on the things she was saying.

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans