Author Topic: Local Hatcheries?  (Read 2547 times)

8greenbeans

Local Hatcheries?
« on: October 14, 2019, 10:24:13 AM »
Do y'all know of any local hatcheries? A friend is specifically looking for meat birds (cornish cross or red rangers). She initially began at McMurray Hatchery but the shipping was $46 so she's looking for a cheaper route.

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

ProGeek

Re: Local Hatcheries?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 02:54:08 PM »
I use https://www.idealpoultry.com/ they are better for small quantities, but are in Texas.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 06:14:56 PM »
How many is she looking for?  There's one or 2 small guys in north GA but they are hit and miss as to when & volume from what I've seen on FB. 

Otherwise Meyer, Metzer Farms, Ideal,  Purely Poultry & Strombergs are really the only volume guys.  Shipping does get more expensive as it gets cooler since they need to pack warmers in the box.  I check most of them about every 3 months or so (as I dream, lol) and McMurray has always been cheaper in the end.  You might find cheaper shipping but the birds are more expensive so sometimes it's a wash but I've found most times, the other guys are more.  I don't know about the meat birds but sometimes McMurray's production birds are a bit smaller than the breed standards & I've heard the same complaint about either Meyer or Purely Poultry.  I will say that nobody has the variety that McMurray's has but for a quality bird, Metzer always comes out on top in all the groups I belong to...and you pay for it.  I've had great luck with McMurray - always live birds & the ducks were good quality, the Buff Orps were a bit small but I wasn't looking for size so I didn't care.   They also run longer into the fall than most everyone else.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

8greenbeans

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:47:59 AM »
Thanks y'all! I'll pass on the information to her.
Star - I'm not sure how many she is looking for but I'm making the assumption that it's at least 25 based on the things she was saying.

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 03:01:02 PM »
We got our Red Rangers from Murray McMurray in Oct.  We bought 20 and the shipping was free.  I bought some broiler starter, the charge was apron. 54.00.  They have their own Red Ranger McMurray bird now.  We could not be more pleased with them!  They were very healthy and now look like small turkeys.  I shouldn't say this about something I am going to eat, but they are beautiful birds. I raise them will wrap them, but Thor (my husband) has to do the deed.  I am a big softly.  I know we have given them a good life, far better than a commercial plant, so feel better about the whole thing.  By the way, we like dark meat and these have more than the Cornish Cross.  We raised them once, but I felt sad just watching them try to lumber around.  To each is own.  I like the rangers. Maybe your friend misunderstood the shipping fees.  I ordered my hens from them last year, same deal.

Fixit

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 12:41:12 PM »
This one in Al.
https://www.valleyfarmshatchery.com/online-store 
Free shipping at 15 birds.

Abigayle

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 01:49:04 PM »
I have used Murray for over thirty years and they never disappoint.  Maybe it was the luck of the draw.  I bought six Buffs from them a year ago, the end of May.  They are huge and healthy.  I will try to get a picture and send it, but I am not good at posting photos, never took the time.....  This fall, we got our Murray Red Rangers.  They are beautiful, healthy and look like small turkeys.  I looked back at my records and they came the end of Sept.  They will go to freezer camp next week.  They are actually enjoyable birds.  I might decide to raise some of our own.  The Buffs and Australorpes are duel purpose, just in case.  Now that I think about it, two of the Black Australorpes have had sour croup issues.  I have never had that in my birds in the past.  Really, other than one raccoon, with a very high I.Q., I have not had any issues in my birds.  I would not get the Australorps again.  They are just o.k.....good layers, easy to be around, but not the personality of my Buff girls.  Your friend might be able to get a small number from My Pet Chicken.  They have them on sale right now, but they are high.  Maybe she can find someone to split some with her.
Ariel

Starlady

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 06:08:26 PM »
I thought Red Rangers were a cross and they won't breed true?
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Slugg

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 05:07:43 PM »
If you entertain the social media thing from time to time there are a few different groups on MEWE. There is a place in Augusta that I've had my eye on.

Abigayle

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 04:06:35 PM »
Yes, they are a cross.  I don't know if they would bred or not....They Cock-a doodle...doo...  They have not asked to be introduced to the hens an acre away, so no telling...seriously...that is a good question, as I was considering raising some of my own.  If things go bad, we will have to do just that.  Usually, with Murray, they make a mistake or two and you get a rooster when you order all hens.  The opposite did not happen with these birds.  I found that interesting.  Maybe the mistakes and accidentally, on purpose, to move a few more roosters.  Many crosses still bred, I will call Murray and ask...
Ariel

Starlady

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 04:41:48 PM »
Oh, they'll breed, you just probably won't get true Red Rangers.

Abigayle

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 10:31:16 PM »
Star Lady, You are correct that they are a cross and may not breed true.  They will breed and are huge.  I tried putting a "chosen one" in with my girls, before the "event" but even at just shy of twelve weeks, he was not accepted, nor was he very kind.  I may have chosen the wrong one.  Long story short, he also went to freezer camp.  It would be interesting to see how they do breed.  McMurray would not share the cross information with me (like grandma's secret recipe).  Really enjoyed our visit!
Ariel

Abigayle

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2019, 08:56:05 AM »
Just got my 2020 catalog from Murray McMurray.  The have a caption on the cover "Order as few as 6 chicks.  Free shipping on all baby birds.....
Our Red Rangers were a great group.  I would raise them again.  We have had two so far.  The favor and texture is excellent!  One bird supplied us with two meals and a bird slow cooker of bone broth chicken soup, with plenty of chicken still in place.  The only problem is cooking them whole.....they take forever.  Next time, I will not stuff them, but make stuffing on the side.  The White Cornish might have bigger breasts as some claim on line.  We had plenty of white meat, along with hug drumsticks.
Our layers from McMurray are going to be two years old the end of May.  In winter, with no lighting, we are getting eight to ten eggs a day from our eleven hens, Buffs and Black Astralorpes.  Both are quiet, peaceful breeds.  If I had to pick one....Buffs...
Ariel

cope

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
I don't know of any "hatcheries" but I know others who have chickens that sell extra chickens. Many hobby farms or farmers or homesteaders will have extra chickens or chicks they would be willing to sell. Check with your local extension agent they will know local growers or owners of chickens.

ProGeek

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 09:36:50 AM »
I'm in need of a New Hampshire or Rhode Island rooster. Anyone got one? If not, I'll be ordering chicks in the Spring.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal