Author Topic: Roll Call October 19, 2019  (Read 209 times)

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
Roll Call October 19, 2019
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:19:03 PM »
Stay dry, be thankful for the rain and get a nap today if you can.
Oh, and check in with us. :)
Ravenwood

Added Sunday am: Looks like I will have some sort of pecan crop this year...but I lost a large branch during the night from the tree. Guess I will get out tomorrow when it is a bit dryer and hand pick the ones with green shells opening. Thanks be to God for the nuts!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:25:58 PM by Ravenwood1950 »

RevJammer

• Full Bugout Bag
Re: Roll Call October 19, 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 09:29:08 PM »
I needed to make an early stop at the local Dollar General today.  They had their "lawn and garden" clearance tables out in the parking lot.  Everything 70%off then another 50% off of that.  I bought their cheap seeds 2 packs for $0.15 some planter kits and other odds and ends.

Yes, I know they are not heirloom seeds, but it's something I do every fall.  I try to buy a bunch of their clearance seeds at dirt cheap prices, for a low cost "just in case".

RJ

Lilburner

• Webmaster
  • Bugged Out
  • Gen. Class
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 02:11:20 AM »
Today was supposed to be a stay indoors day all day. But I guess because I've been so active lately, I had cabin fever by mid-afternoon. Big Lots had 20% off today, so I went in to Anderson and scrounged through there for the better part of a couple hours, then went to Lowe's to price and plan some projects.

I did one small prep and I highly recommend it. I got some new in the box boots out of the closet that I'm saving for SHTF and wore them into town. I'm really really bad with new shoes tearing up my feet. I've got to break them in. I'd be kind of screwed if I pulled out a new pair of boots and had to depend on them to survive. So I'm going to break them in a while, then put them back in the box, and they'll be ready to wear when I need them.

Sure enough, about 4 hours in I was quite over them.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

8greenbeans

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 10:58:44 AM »
It's been a week of birthdays ... Bean7 was Tuesday, Bean2 was Thursday, and Bean5 was Saturday.

All week I've been working on scraping bee hive equipment, building potato bins & bio-reactors, mucking for the bins, raking leaves for the reactors, gathering small sticks and limbs for the bottom of the raised beds, shopping for supplies, making lists, preparing for flu season - herbally (I think I'm about done), canning, and dehydrating. I've tried to be outside as much as possible. So much to do but I'm such a slow mover - faster than I was last year but time still rushes by faster than I move. MrBeans has tomorrow off so we are planning on completing the winterization of all the animal shelters and pens.

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

upacreek

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
This week was all about shooting. My shooting buddy and I are finally getting a handle on reloading rifle rounds. Geez! It was a lot of work. We fully did 575 rounds and prepped enough for another 500 (tumbled, trimmed, staged, primed). Iím pulling a feminist thing and calling the hand primer a misogynist tool. Most womenís hands are too small. I got blisters  :'( :'( :'(.   The work paid off though. We tested the load (again) on Wednesday and then did another Appleseed. My friend requalified, this time with the AR twice.  He requalified last time with iron sights. I barely requalified with my regular 10/22 twice more. I do so much better at my own range. All in all, it was a great weekend, especially since nearly my whole friendís family came with us.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 07:56:44 PM »
Still getting a bumper crop of the trinidad scorpion peppers, picked 11 from one plant today. Making some homemade hotsauce. Like a fool i didnt wear gloves and have contaminated my phone case and kitchen with one of the hottest peppers in the world. Feels like 2nd degree burns on and off for the last few hours.

Split and stacked firewood, Bought my wife a brothers sewing machine for Christmas, i know its early but Christmas is paid for and i pick it up as i find it on sale.

I havent given a flying poop about preping for months and now all of a suden its moved to the forefront of my mind. Maybe the global kaos or the fact industry is slowing down aroumd me. Just feels off... I need a good shtf book.

crplhood

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 08:12:53 AM »
Still here. Pint plant now growing like crazy. I think I'll keep feeling it like this for another month before cutting it back to bring inside for winter. Planted 4 pots of scotch bonnets. If I play my cards right, those babies will fruit very early in the year.
GA Adopt-a-Stream Monitor, Upper Etowah Alliance, Coosa River Basin Initiative, Student (for life), Cisco Certified Mystery IT Guy (what does that IT guy really do all day, why is he so pale, and why does he get his own office?). My daddy could beat up your daddy. steveinit.wordpress.com

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 08:27:05 PM »
Finalizing plans for all the small fall construction projects, keeping the peppers & cherry tomatoes alive, harvesting the last of the Malabar (disgusting stuff) spinach for the chickens & ducks, cleaning coops during this awesome cool weather and finally getting to work on some spring (yeah, I'm 6 months late) cleaning!

Made the annual run to Ellijay with upacreek, bought apples, acorn & butternut squashes along with the obligatory 'new' one I hadn't tried before.  This year it's the Jarrahdale Pumpkin - a bluish grey squash, looking similar to the Long Island Cheese (which didn't impress me last year) but taller.  Supposed to be a bit sweeter and tastier than regular pumpkin, and two humongous cabbages.  I've got some burger to defrost and plan to can up quarts and quarts of stuffed cabbage in tomato sauce, with trimmings to the poultry.

Septic inspection Wednesday, here's hoping the rest of my week isn't taken up with repairs!

Have a great week, enjoy the fall weather.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 07:26:40 PM »
Just got home from NC this evening.  I finished getting the solar system up and running.  It is the first install for me using the remote shut down (E-Stop) switch.  Worked slick as a whistle shutting down the inverter and turning off the solar panels at the panels.
It was 27 Deg F there this morning.