Author Topic: Firecracker Pablanos  (Read 1238 times)

crplhood

Firecracker Pablanos
« on: November 01, 2019, 04:57:17 PM »
I've been growing pablanos for years, but I think I might have some cross contamination. So, I'm making roast brisket for tacos. I always place 2 layers of bell and poblano pepper under the meat for flavor and moisture. I had a spare poblano... and I love pablanos, so I just bit into it for a crisp warm snack... Too warm. Way to warm. Well that was twenty minutes ago. My lips are still entirely numb. Guess some of my pablanos and habeneros flowered at the same time last year, and the plant this came from was a daughter of the crossbred fruit!

Odd thing is... I've been growing all my bells, palanos, jalapenos, and hab literally right next to each other for years. Never had a single cross that I know of. It looks identical to a normal pablano, but maybe with just a little extra curl.

Anyways, have ya'll ever run into this? I harvested about a hundred seeds from that fruit. I'll probably keep 30 for next year, but anyone want some of these super spicy pablanos?

Starlady

Re: Firecracker Pablanos
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 05:34:50 PM »
Peppers have 'perfect' flowers (all the parts needed to pollinate) so it's not VERY common but it does happen.  Recommendations are for 25-35' of separation.

Get some yogurt or sour cream on your mouth.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »
My old neighbors jalapeņo crossed with his banana peppers.  I wanted to make pepper rings (canned) and didn't have any banana.  The ones he gave me really knocked my socks off....They all did not cross but about half did.  I am not sure how close they were planted, as this garden was out near his fish camp, not near home. I have planted Jalapeņo about fifteen feet from my sweet peppers, with no problem....so far....
Ariel

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 07:13:58 AM »
And just a reminder for all:  that was LAST year's cross pollination.    It's the SEED that's ruined not the current year fruit.

Ex:   sweet & hot pepper planted next to each other this year will fruit true the 1st year - the seed you save may be cp'd.  If you got a hot pepper from a sweet plant this year then the seed you planted was crossed LAST year, or the mfgr mixed the seeds or mislabeled them.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

crplhood

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 08:52:21 AM »
And just a reminder for all:  that was LAST year's cross pollination.    It's the SEED that's ruined not the current year fruit.

Ex:   sweet & hot pepper planted next to each other this year will fruit true the 1st year - the seed you save may be cp'd.  If you got a hot pepper from a sweet plant this year then the seed you planted was crossed LAST year, or the mfgr mixed the seeds or mislabeled them.

Yep, I know. I kept the seeds so I can try to cultivate them intentionally this time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal