Author Topic: Roll Call November 9, 2019  (Read 149 times)

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
Roll Call November 9, 2019
« on: November 09, 2019, 06:18:26 PM »
Too tired to write much; I had a much needed break at our monthly scrapbooking/stitching get together.
Check in with us and let us know how you are doing....oh and stay warm.
Ravenwood

8greenbeans

Re: Roll Call November 9, 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:14:32 PM »
Most of my week was dealing with insurance companies and arranging various companies to come out to the rental to get it fixed. A big fat time suck in which I could have been doing much more valuable projects instead of driving back and forth 2 hours each way. However, in a way, this is a very valuable project since it is what will get us the land we so desperately desire... so I'll try to change my outlook.

My short list:
During my many hours sitting at the rental awaiting people, I made a list of 31 meals we really enjoy, then parceled that off into what could be canned/dehydrated ahead of time x12 to give us 12 months worth of ready-to-eat meals - for supper only that is
Continued canning freezer meats
Continued working on the greenhouse and compost areas
Made a new batch of elderberry syrup
Made up batches of switchel and ginger lemonade and hibiscus tea .... these remain in our fridge throughout the winter along with the typical sweet tea
Started a new batch of kombucha
Baked breads
Am in the middle of a home security update, which I wasn't planning on doing but Dad got the hankering so I'm dealing with it

Needless to say, the particular goals I set for this past week were not accomplished but other things were accomplished in their place so I won't call it a total loss lol

GOALS FOR THE COMING WEEK:
Celebrate the Corps' Birthday with a few hundred other area Marines
Finish organizing the canning shelves
Finish moving herbs to pantry
Continue canning freezer meat
Completely finish one bio-reactor & start on raised bed compost
Downstairs Bathroom boxed and down to bare bones (TP, Soap, Towel)
Get bedroom office transferred to downstairs office
Get upstairs catwalk cleaned and organized and boxed where possible (half our library is up there)
Get the skeleton of the new watering system moved to proper place

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

upacreek

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 08:58:24 AM »
Not much happening here.  I'm glad the heat has finally stopped.  I hope to make the most of it this winter by diving into clear cutting privet.  I'm working on the permaculture garden again - hopefully preparing it for the spring.  I need to get my Bobcat tire fixed, fill the garden, and then sell the thing.  I just don't use it.  The pond filled again.  It was the lowest I'd seen it (only had the place 2 years, so that's not saying much)  It's amazing that one week's worth of rain put the level back up to end of the winter levels.  It rose over a foot.  My youngest got a couple of stitches in/near his lip.  I'd of slapped some glue on it - it was barely a dent and only needed 2 stitches to close.  He insisted he'd never get a job (the boy is 16 and loves to think long, long term) if he had a big scar there.  Less than 1/2 an inch is hardly big.  Off to the ER because the cheap places said he'd need a plastic surgeon - he didn't.  Thousand upon thousands of dollars later and the 2 minute "operation" is over.  Now we need to keep any infection out and the cats from headbutting him hello.  It was funny to see him in a pediatric bed.  His ankles and head hung over it.  It's a far cry from when he got his tonsils out at 3 and we saw him in an adult sized bed.

Bring on the snow this week!  Sadly, I think it'll just be rain.  Stay warm, people.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Starlady

• Bugged Out
  • Region 1 Leader
    • http://www.georgiacarry.org/
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
A hard freeze forced me to change all plans and harvest the rest of the tomatoes, peppers & 7 herbs.  The tomatoes are now sauce, the herbs are dried & need to be put in jars.

Got 2 roos into the crockpot - I just skinned them since time was short that day - parted into 5 dog meals & 6 pints of broth frozen.  Got the spring chickens integrated into their new adult home but now I need to cut flight feathers since they keep trying to get back to the baby pen over the 5' fence.  Ordered 2 new 'houses' for the expansion breeding pens for the ducks.

Working on a head cold.  Took an extra swig of elderberry tincture & a bit of usnea tinture before I went to bed & the scratchy throat is gone but I could barely breathe this am.   Herbal remedies are great but thank heavens for Benedryl!

I've decided to put Gertrude up for sale - I've just got too much to do & getting to Campout with farm animals is becoming a hassle.  See my post going up today and PM me if interested, I'm throwing in lots of freebies. 

Otherwise, just maintenance going on here.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 03:03:34 PM »
What a week, Went camping with some Church members this weekend. Got down to 27 degrees at night. Our Buddy heater iced up with the little one pound tanks so me and older two boys jumped in a tent with a kerosene heater. Mommy and baby drove home, good thing even with a. 23,000 btu heater we froze 10 people in that tent. Overall a good trip, was able to visit the Amish farms and pick up some produce.Really starting to think we need a camper.

upacreek

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 05:25:30 PM »
HogJowlHomestead - is it safe to put a kerosene heater in a tent?  I always heard it was deadly. A father and son died using one locally in a Scout campout.  Stay safe!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

HogJowlHomestead

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 07:30:22 PM »
You know really not sure, it was an indoor heater in a summer tent.(why we froze) so at least we had fresh air, it was convection heater. Any others on here have any thoughts? Seems to be alot of mixed info online. Thanks for pointing that out! I went with a Mrbuddy because i knew they were safe, but at midnite when we woke frozen stiff i would have crawled into manure pile to of gotten warm. 

Memory foam pillows turn to bricks below zero. I just learned that the hard way.

Lilburner

• Webmaster
  • Bugged Out
  • Gen. Class
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 07:34:09 PM »
Just guessing here, but I'm thinking the greater danger from a kerosene heater in a tent would be fire. They're designed to be used indoors, and a tent would never ever be as airtight as a house. I just wouldn't put it tremendously close to the tent wall.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

• Webmaster
  • Bugged Out
  • Gen. Class
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 09:05:04 PM »
There's a pawn shop in Toccoa I adore, and I'm not a pawn shop person. He has top quality tools, and everything is negotiable - especially as package deals. This week I put together a package deal on a seemingly-new Huskee lawn tractor (my old Murray still runs good but the deck has mowed its last), a 36" 9HP pull behind tiller, and a big rolling Husky toolbox workbench for less than half of what a three-point tiller would have cost me. I'll probably never till more than an acre at a time, so the pull behind is plenty - and more maneuverable.

Ordered the batteries for solar (67 Kwh!) and spent the better part of two days cleaning, straightening, and organizing the barn to get ready for the shipment.

Also got all the materials ordered for my barn addition - exterior stairs, rear deck w/door to loft, and 12x20 rear lean to. It may already be underway. Circumstance and opportunity led to me having a 12 foot loft when I only own an 8 foot ladder, so it will be nice to make that into usable space!
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster