Author Topic: Prepper Camp 2020 - September 25-27, 2020  (Read 4569 times)

Lilburner

Prepper Camp 2020 - September 25-27, 2020
« on: November 25, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »
2020 Prepper Camp announced!

https://www.preppercamp.com/

Orchard Lake Campground, Saluda, NC
September 25th, 26th, and 27th, 2020.

The three day campout is one of the largest prepper events in the world - three days of classes, workshops, vendors, information, friends old and new, meeting experts... and camping!

I went this year - my first - and was thrilled to spend time with Upacreek and Progeek, some people I know outside the board, and make new friends and contacts.

LITERALLY the only downside is you have to pick how much information you can absorb. This year you had to pick something like 21 classes out of maybe 80 offered. Even being what I like to think of as an established prepper, I picked up absolutely life-changing skills and information, and I hope to never miss another one.

Currently, as of this writing, tickets are LESS than half price as a holiday special. Normal tickets are $90. Not sure when exactly this ends. I bought mine close to Christmas last year and they still had the holiday pricing.

ADULT (16 YRS OLD & UP) (HOLIDAY DISCOUNT TICKETS)   $44.95
STUDENT (7-15 YRS OLD) (HOLIDAY DISCOUNT TICKETS)   $39.95
CHILD (2-7 YRS OLD)   $9.95

They eventually sell out. You can get an event ticket closer to the event, but camping goes FAST! I think the first year I heard of this it was about June and was sold out. The next year it was maybe March and the camping was sold out. So now is the time to act if you want to camp!

I highly recommend this event! Hope to see you there!
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Prepper Camp 2020 - September 25-27, 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 08:07:19 PM »
I just bought tickets for myself and wife.  Now I have to get campground reservations.  If they are full, not a problem as my North Carolina friend lives within 50 miles and I can camp there free.  Just have to drive in each day and will miss the campground experience.

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »
Looking forward to seeing you!

With your rig, you're going to want to park as close to the festivities as possible. I'm on the back side and drive back and forth to the event. Upacreek was right by me and walked every day - depends on how much you like walking after a long day, I suppose, but it's a haul to the back of the campground.

The target is the soccer/golf/volleyball area for the day's activities.

1-14 and A-G are the closest. But there seem to be a lot of year-round people in those slot.

Here's the map. https://orchardlakecampground.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2017-OLC-Map.pdf

I requested my same far-away spot as this year because it's basically a pull-thru for my little rig. I'm thinking I'm going to bring my dirt bike for the campground.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 09:11:05 PM »
Here are some of my tips. Hopefully the others who've attended will join in.

If you drive from your campsite to the parking lot, plan to eat lunch in your vehicle. It takes a while to get through the campground and back during the lunch break. There are food vendors, but everyone there wants to eat at three vendors at the same time so the lines are crazy. I wasn't super prepared for this, so wound up having jerky, nuts, and cookies for lunch all three days since that was what was already in the truck. I'll do better next year, but there are worse things than jerky, nuts, and cookies for lunch.

Bring a chair - not necessarily for the whole weekend, but the "Help! I can't afford a chair!" plastic chairs they use get real old, real quick. Of course I'm not built for cheap chairs, but normal-sized folks were plenty tired of them, too. I normally prefer a director-style chair, but the conventional kind with the bag and the shoulder strap is better for dragging around all over from tent to tent.

Might want to have an umbrella with you, and/or be SUPER aware of the geography of the sun when you sit down. For many of the classes, the shade is fully outside the tent. Combine this with bringing your own chair where you'll be sitting slightly outside the end of a row anyway, be sure and get on the correct side.

Bring everything you can think of to collect information - notepad, camphone for the classes with screens... I took a little digital voice recorder and I'm glad I did. Boy, the information comes at you fast and furious - it's almost difficult to absorb it all!

I'll add more if I think of it. I'm curious what the other veterans have to add in the way of tips.
~ Daniel Webster

upacreek

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 08:54:26 AM »
Did you guys have any luck reserving your camp site?  I'm trying to and I'm getting no availability for anything.  Tickets only went on sale a few days ago.  I'm hoping it's a glitch with their reservation page.  Staying there last year was so much better (and cheaper) than going to it each day.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 10:03:43 AM »
I've gotten two emails from them. One right after the campout - a form to fill out, and another right after tickets went on sale to reply to after I bought my ticket.

I stopped by and talked to them about future reservations while I was there. Not sure if they're reaching out to all attendees or just the ones who specifically got on a list. They ask if you want the same spot, which I did - because while not technically a pull-thru, it was effectively a pull-thru.

I believe they're closed for the season and don't answer the phone, but respond to e-mail.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »
Did you guys have any luck reserving your camp site?  I'm trying to and I'm getting no availability for anything.  Tickets only went on sale a few days ago.  I'm hoping it's a glitch with their reservation page.  Staying there last year was so much better (and cheaper) than going to it each day.
They did not answer the phone.  I emailed and then went to their web page to make online reservations.  I got the same no available sites.

Edit:  I got a reply to my email   "We are closed for the winter until April 1st. Have a Happy Thanksgiving."    My take is contact them April 1.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 02:09:58 PM by RWS »

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 02:29:53 PM »
I got my reservation, invoice, and I paid. Actually a little less than last year.

My guess is they've got it booked out until all the return customers are situated. then they'll open it up.

mgr@orchardlakecampground.com has been super responsive, and even answered a specific question. The answer to which is if you don't buy Sunday night, and no one else buys the spot, you can leave your rig there until evening. Otherwise, you need to pull your rig into the event parking lot before checkout time.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 02:32:03 PM »
Edit:  I got a reply to my email   "We are closed for the winter until April 1st. Have a Happy Thanksgiving."    My take is contact them April 1.

Did you mention specifically that it was for Prepper Campout and that you'd already bought a ticket? I thought it specifically said on the Prepper Campout website that they were closed but processing Prepper Campout reservations.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 02:56:02 PM »
This is the link for your friends to get on the list for a site before they are opened to everyone online next monday.

https://forms.gle/TuDMD3PcfDSbe5Wr8

If they fill out that request form and email the office confirmation that they have purchased their event tickets they are much more likely to get a site. I haven't officially counted today but I believe that they will still get a site with the number currently on the list.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
OK.  Thanks for the info.  I filled out the form and I emailed them my ticket numbers.  I did not tell them it was for prepper camp.  Email is very responsive.

upacreek

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »
I just confirmed my site - P1.  It's closer to the classes and hopefully away from the yahoos that were up until 2-3 and then again at 5am.  I can't do much for the snorer, but I'm trying to talk his wife into divvying up the insurance if there's an "accident." Or I'll bring earplugs enough to share.  I guess he's a good friend.  I should have enough room for one more small tent if anyone is interested.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 01:43:38 PM »
My NC friend just got his grid power wired to his inverter.  Via text messaging I have been helping him change some configuration to let his inverter be grid interactive.  As payment, I instructed him to buy tickets to the prepper camp.  He said it (prepper camp) is only 25 miles from his house.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 04:39:50 PM »
I finally got a camp site at Prepper Camp P3.  Site has full hookups so we will be able to host the group for lunch and whatever else might be needed.  Site is 20ft wide so with the awning rolled out the site width will be full.  It is a 45ft long site and my camper is 24ft6" so a small car can also park there.  I carry a table top Webber charcoal grill and I will bring my rocket stove & tripod.  I also have propane stoves so we can cook what ever is needed.  The camper has a freezer, so with an ice tray, cubes can be frozen overnight.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:59:34 PM by RWS »

ProGeek

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 12:24:00 PM »
Got my tickets!  8)
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal