Author Topic: The world's most private search engine?  (Read 1519 times)

Lilburner

The world's most private search engine?
« on: November 30, 2019, 09:08:03 PM »
That's what they claim, anyway. Right under their search box.

I'll link an article instead of linking to it directly, so you can investigate and see what you think.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90437058/this-alternative-search-engine-is-basically-google-without-the-privacy-headaches

A couple of highlights...

“We don’t collect, share, or save any personal information,” says Robert Beens, Startpage’s CEO. “That means not setting cookies. It means not storing IP addresses. We don’t store your searches, and we don’t profile you.”

While it’s not the only privacy-first search engine—DuckDuckGo is a better-known example—Startpage is the only one whose search results come from Google, due to a unique and longstanding agreement in which Startpage pays the search giant to get a feed of links for any search.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Rockhopper

Re: The world's most private search engine?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 11:55:15 AM »
The link didn't come up, but I've been using duckduckgo.com instead of google

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 01:02:34 PM »
The link didn't come up, but I've been using duckduckgo.com instead of google

Interesting. Fastcompany even returns the link in their search results, but it goes to a dead page which adds insult to injury by accusing you of typing it in wrong. Not sure if it's a temporary snafu.

In any case, here's the search engine
https://www.startpage.com/en/
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Rockhopper

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Lilburner! You always provide many good resources. I noticed startpage.com states they pay google to use their search engine but keep your data private while doing so. For this reason I will keep using duckduckgo.com but it's nice to have startpage.com if I want to use google without all of their spying. Duckduckgo.com is continuing to grow and expand by leaps and bounds with 1 billion searches per month. In case anyone is wondering, some of us are not pleased with the censorship and politicization by google and boycott them when we can. Anyone unfamiliar with the google censorship issue need only turn to the many news articles which allege google directing certain searches toward anti-conservative results; this and we don't like their spying and data collection to begin with.

Still those of us that feel this way still find themselves using youtube due to a dearth of other options. Just as freedom minded Virginian's are now making their voices heard at town hall meetings and forming 2nd amendment sanctuary counties, we can also make our voices heard with google by hitting them in their wallet by refusing to use their site in any practical way. Still it's nice to have smartpage as a backup so thanks again! It's a good resource. Are there any growing youtube alternatives anyone likes?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal