Author Topic: A Coming Pandemic? What will you need to stock up on?  (Read 5999 times)

tlwagg

A Coming Pandemic? What will you need to stock up on?
« on: January 27, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »
A Coming Pandemic? What will you need to stock up on?

Pain relievers, cough and cold medicine, stomach medicine, including anti-diarrhea, vitamins, soap, sanitizer, bleach, cleaners, toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, Prescription medication, Gatorade, trash bags, rubber gloves, mask, plastic sheeting, duct tape. For babies diapers, and Pedialyte and and Pedialyte frozen pop are good. If you don't have something like a Tyvek suit you can use trash bags to cover your clothes.

This is a good place to start. There is so much more

Oral Re-hydration Solution
 1 level teaspoon of table salt
 3 tablespoons of white sugar
 Powdered drink mix (for flavoring) in
a sandwich bag.
-Using plastic sandwich bags, pre-measure
the above ingredients, combining all ingredients into single serving
bags. Make a few bags for each family member. Label
each “Oral Re-hydration solution.”
-When needed, each sandwich bag is added to 1 quart of water.
Include the water in your container. Get fluids in as much as
possible, as long as the patient is conscious.
-for more information, see
http://rehydrate.org/solutions/index.html
From www.GetPandemicReady.org
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:04:59 PM by tlwagg »
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

tlwagg

Re: A Coming Pandemic? What will you need to stock up on?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 07:03:20 PM »
For all of you old APN folks https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/design/2010-10-13/the-emergency-bra-be-safe-be-sexy/ I'm sure you will remember this.

8greenbeans

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 10:17:09 PM »
LOL yes I do! It was funny then and it's funny now!

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

tlwagg

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 02:53:04 PM »
While I was out and about today I checked on some of the items listed above, I've been hearing they are all sold out. I found everything on the list I looked for. I don't think anyone here is worried yet. Now if I could only find the wire cutters I wanted I'd be happy.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 04:41:21 PM »
I took your list and made a run on the drug store, grocery store and quickie store.  I am planning another trip in the morning when I finish the new list I am making up now. 

As I was leaving the drug store, I told the clerk that she had her first pandemic customer for the day.  Her reply was priceless.  "What's a pandemic"/.

aces

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:59:13 PM »
Stock up on N-95 masks.

tlwagg

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »
The hardware store is a good place to find them. Most people don't think to look there. At Wal-Mart they have them in both the hardware and paint sections. We use them for various things around the house.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people

tlwagg

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 08:02:12 PM »
CDC Has a good .pdf Get your household ready for a pandemic flu

Abigayle

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 07:43:27 PM »
bought lysol multi surface clean and fresh today.  kills 99.9% of germs.  I called the company number on the back and gave them the "s" number.  According to the man on the other end, it will be effective until July of '23.  Same for Lysol wipes and Pledge antibacterial multi surface cleaner.  If the question that I asked was actually answered correctly, this would make these products more effective than bleach, which starts to break down in 6 months.  Poor shock can work, like forever, but not the Walmart stuff.  Check out Gaye Levy's information for more on that.
These are good things to know and have just to deal with the current flu here. We may know more on the Coronavirus soon, if they keep bringing people back here and checking them with a Q-tip up their noses.

Abigayle

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 11:14:54 AM »
Just received a really good thought, from a good friend of mine.  She is a cancer surviver and has to be extra careful about germs.  I had never thought of this but one area she was warned about was the produce section of the grocery store.  Everyone handles the veggies, puts one down, checks out another....this continues.  Vegetables that are not bagged, really hold onto germs from hands.  They almost act like our skin.  Food for thought.
I did wear a mask and washable gloves to shop and be out of the store by 8:00 a.m. yesterday.  Thinking about the garden variety flu, and Corona virus, since we don't really know where it is and is not right now.  Atlanta airport...case in point.  Virus is now in Milan Italy and Germany, growing fast.  No I do not have my tinfoil hat ready, but I am trying to make a fashionable one right now....

tlwagg

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 05:20:15 PM »
I've thought about that but the veggies come wrapped are still handled by someone. Are they better?

Abigayle

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 06:29:00 PM »
TLWAGG, I am no expert, but I am guessing that germs don't live on plastic as long as, say, an eggplant skin, avocado, orange, etc.  I have probably overstated the fact that I started wearing washable gloves, to the store this week. 
Now that they have admitted that the virus has mutated, (they haven't used that word, due to panic, but it has), we don't know how many people have come into the country with the virus.  Blood tests will not determine if the virus is present, and a cotton swab, or taking a forehead temp, sure as heck is not information gathering.  I am never trustful of government reports of statistics. They chose their words carefully today, and the stock market still went south in a hurry.  Notice they wait until the closing bell is very close...
Quote from: tlwagg MMlink=topic=4079.msg23826#msg23826 date=1580509215
I've thought about that but the veggies come wrapped are still handled by someone. Are they better?
Ariel

tlwagg

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 08:44:06 PM »
Sorry Abigayle I guess I didn't make myself clear. When I said handled I meant between picking and packing. How many people handle the food between picking and packing?

tlwagg

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 11:55:12 AM »
Here's something to think about. Money is very dirty! I keep a small bottle or hand sanitizer in my car for cleaning my hands after handling money during flu season.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal