Author Topic: February 8, 2020  (Read 134 times)

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
February 8, 2020
« on: February 08, 2020, 01:27:32 PM »
I hope our members north of I-20 are not getting too much bad weather. It is just a cold misty rain here at my home with temps hanging around 36 the last time I checked. I dread the rain coming next week; the last rain left me with ankle deep water in most of the back yard.
My poor chicken yard is dreadful.
Mother is hanging on but getting weaker by the day; plus she has a good bit of confusion, especially in the early morning. I could use your prayers...this is tough even for an old hard hearted nurse like me.
Check in with us members and I pray all is well for everyone. Keep your eye on the virus stats and keep prepping for isolation.
Ravenwood

tlwagg

Re: February 8, 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 06:04:52 PM »
WE GOT SNOW!!!!

As of now it's melted off the road but there might be some ice in the morning.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

upacreek

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:03:29 PM »
It rained and rained and rained some more.  I'm a bit tired of it.  I have come to the realization that I'll be stuck at my new place for just a day or two every year since my road floods during heavy rains.  All my neighbors past me have it much worse.  There's a dip in the road after my place and they're sort of stranded for days or even a week at a time.  There's a back road the county opens up during flooding, but my neighbors say you need an off-road vehicle for it.  I'd be stranded for sure since I have a slight dip on one side and what becomes part of a lake on the other. 

I was supposed to meet with some architects and suppliers last week, but they haven't followed through on making it happen.  I did get a hold of someone through Starlady that will teach me about my solar hook up - THANKS!  I meet with him next week.  I need to replace my batteries at the very least. 

I started a new batch of elderberry plants from cuttings.  All the ones I grew last year failed.  I guess the gluttons like water and not to be weed whacked.  Needy little jerks.  I think I'll plant them in planters for a while this time instead of directly from water to the ground like I did last year.  I'll certainly mark them better and keep them clear of weeds.  I have enough to experiment with so next year should go even better.

I'm not doing much else prep wise - I got a few more masks and I'm trying to plant a seed in my kids to look for and avoid sick people.  Even if this Wuhan thing doesn't make it here, it's a good (in a horrible way) learning experience.  Region 1 people missed a good lunch yesterday - good people and food.  Maybe next time.  Have a dry week!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

8greenbeans

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 01:06:23 PM »
Spent most of last week on the road and taking care of Dad after his oral surgery. He's doing good though. When I was home, I spent rainy times inside organizing & rearranging. When not raining I spent it outdoors doing animal & plants things. Nearly done with spreading wood chips. A bit more in certain pens and walkway then rest is for the gardens.

The snow was nice here. The animals & I enjoyed ourselves. Had lots of on the road plans but cancelled them all since our area's roads were pretty bad.

USMC Veteran, USAF Mama
Army National Guard MIL
Army Daughter, Navy Niece
8 Beans
5 GrandBeans + 2 due in July
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:19:21 PM »
Ravenwood, We have been keeping you in our prayers.  Having been in your situation, we can strongly relate.  We are here if you need us.
Sorry for everyone sitting in water, and jealous of those who saw snow.  We used to get a little up in Ellijay and I miss the experience.  We sit pretty high, so while it is very wet here, we are not flooding.  Our pond is now a small lake.
On new elderberry plants, we mulched ours with wood chips from the chicken coop when we planted them, as they are near the coop.  This is their second year (plus six months), and they are spreading.  They have been easy, so far.  Mixed some with grapes to make juice and jelly last summer.
Worked in the greenhouse this week starting most of the garden plants that don't direct seed.  Also started feverfew, astragalus root, echinacea. horehound and a few other medical type plants (thanks, Starlady).  Tried planting some store bought horse radish root in a pot, will see how it does.  Started potatoes in a pot outside, I bet they are rotting in the pots.  Lots of lettuce, broccoli and greens in the raised bed that should survive this weather, ready for some sun.  Pretty ready for the virus, if we have to shelter in place for awhile.  Wish our kids  and grandkids lived nearby, so I could keep all my chicks under my wing, and have some help from the big chicks.

RWS

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2020, 02:28:36 PM »
Today I got to drive Miss Daisey.  She usually goes grocery shopping by herself but today she requested I go to.  When Geneva (old sales clerk) said it had been years since she had seen me, I said "Just driving miss daisey".  There are three grocery stores in the two small towns we went to and we went to all three.  The wife shops sales, so we could only get certain items at each store.  I slipped in 2 cans of corn beef and now have them stored with the canned sour kraut.  I also got a couple cans of beanie weenies to go in my get home bag.  We got 4 one lb bags of corn meal for $5.  I vacuum sealed them and they are in the freezer.
In another thread on this forum (General/Natural Medacine) it talked about chopping up orange peels and leaching out the orange into either vodka or vinegar.  So i saved some orange peel and chopped it up and put it in vinegar.  The wife took a look at it and said "I can add a little sugar & such and we can use it as orange vinaigrette dressing.  We still have some lettuce in the garden.