Author Topic: New Member in Region 6  (Read 1294 times)

DeltaMike84

New Member in Region 6
« on: February 12, 2020, 11:52:33 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am in Region 6 (Houston County) and came across this site as I was trying to find a group of preppers nearby to mingle with.  I am brand new to the whole concept of prepping - although I do know the tinfoil hat stereotypes.  My eyes were opened through reading novels about societal collapse - if you're interested I highly recommend the 299 Days series by Glen Tate, and William Forschten's One Second After is pretty good as well.

After reading about these realistic scenarios, I realized that I am kind of living a Sheeple life - wife gets groceries for a couple of weeks at a time, and we don't do a lot right now to be self sufficient.  My livelihood comes from the technology sector, so if the power goes out I'm out of work.  It's time to start strengthening some survival skills.  As a kid I learned some of the typical Georgia boy stuff, but nowhere near enough to take care of myself and family in a prolonged emergency.  So I've found a little bit on Youtube, started prioritizing tools I would need, and started little by little (and I DO mean LITTLE) trying to piece together a plan to put my family in a better position to survive.  In my line of work (and others, I know) we refer to a change from the current state as the 'Delta', so that's why you see me as 'DeltaMike' here... I'm no military guy or airline pilot :-)  Nothing but a UCG here.

I'm looking forward to reading more on the site, and hopefully meeting some of you folks and learning by doing some stuff in the near future!

Mike

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: New Member in Region 6
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 06:54:37 AM »
Welcome.  I am in region 8 along I75 so the wife & I grocery shop in Centerville sometimes.  There is a region 6 group that meets in Warner Robins fairly regularly.  This forum has a Spring Camp out coming up see calendar. 
I don't worry about grid power as my house is comfortable off grid.

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:14:26 AM »
Welcome Mike, Lots of good advice on here, be sure to check the older postings.  Everyone here is willing to help!

tlwagg

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 11:32:14 AM »
Welcome Mike! We have a lot of great people and good information here.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

joebob

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 02:22:08 PM »
Welcome

bountyhunter

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »
Welcome from Region 4!
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

BennyMG1

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2020, 09:28:43 AM »
Welcome Mike. I’m kinda in Region 6 also. Actually live in Region 8 but closer to Warner Robins than anywhere in R8. This is a great site. I’ve been on here for several years and have made some GREAT, lifelong friends. There’s a lot of great information and resources here. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may not want to ask openly on the forum.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

cope

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »
Welcome Mike the region 6 has a group that meets the 4th Saturday of every month in Warner Robins. I can get you the details more if you like.
Its usually an impromptu presentation on different subjects. We have had stop the bleed, what to have in Bug out Bags, knot tying, Communications 101 ham gmrs frs cb etc, and more.
Always looking for new members of like minded folks. Its free to join and participate. Give me a holler via email if you'd like to know more. My email is ReconPrepper AT gmail dot com.

Thanks and look forward to seeing you at the upcoming meeting.

Searchboss

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 06:48:00 PM »
Welcome Mike. There are some great people on this site from across the state who would be happy to share their experiences and offer advice if you asked. There are also a number of folks in or near Region 6 that you could talk to. The quickest way to meet a few of them is to attend the meeting Cope mentioned so you can meet some of the local folks. Another good way to meet and interact with others from across the state is to participate in our spring and fall campouts if you are in to that sort of thing. If not, you can still drive in for the day and participate in activities on Saturday of the campout. In the mean time, feel free to read the many varied articles in the forums.

VoodooMD

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 07:26:14 PM »
Hello!!!-Welcome to Region 6 !!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
My name is Rhett and I am pretty much the current "coordinator" for the monthly meetings here for the Region 6 area. Look for a message from me with more information concerning the meetings!
Hope to meet with you very soon!!--oh, and bring the family!  ;)
"It is easier to prepare and prevent, than to repair and repent."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal