Author Topic: Members Preps/area reports on available goods  (Read 55617 times)

Ravenwood1950

Re: Members Preps/area reports on available goods
« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2020, 09:31:53 PM »
I must have been absent the day we talked about tonic water. What is the deal with tonic water please?
Ravenwood

YellowRose

« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2020, 09:42:02 PM »
It contains quinine.  Chloroquine is the synthetic form of quinine.  The jury is still out on whether quinine will have the same effects as chloroquine.  I have looked up the molecular structure of the two, and they are not the same.  But they are used for the same purpose when it comes to malaria, so make your own decision on it.  The amount of quinine in the bottle is not clear.  The FDA mandates that no more than 83mg per liter be included in tonic water, but that doesn't mean every tonic water has exactly that amount.  Some people are stocking up on tonic water as a way to get some equivalent of chloroquine if it is not available when you need it.  Do with that what you will.

tlwagg

« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
I dropped by both Walmart and Sam's in North Fulton yesterday. No cleaning products at either (wipes or disinfecting type cleaner). Walmart was almost out of bacon and sausage and some meats, I forgot to check at Sam's. Sam's was almost completely out of fresh meat (still had some of the frozen kind) their meat case was half full of steaks that were spaced out to make it look full. Walmart had meat but I didn't look to close. Both Sam's and Walmart had some paper products, Sam's being pretty well stocked with paper towels and only one kind of toilet paper.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Abigayle

« Reply #168 on: May 13, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »
Braved Walmart this morning, after the senior moment.  When I got there, it wasn't crowded, but I was getting nervous by the time I made my way out the door.  There were maybe a fourth of the shoppers donning masks.  Both young and old apparently have dismissed the concept all together.  Not sure how they can watch the re-opening of stores, etc. on TV, yet are totally oblivious to the concept of social distancing.  Kids, who may or may not start school this fall, were dancing all over Walmart.  Several times, I had to change, course, backup...zig and zag.
Pasta sauces were very low, almost cleaned out.  I got a few boxes of pasta, but they were in short supply.  No cleaning supplies containing the announcement that it kills 99.9% of all germ.  Scored on paper towels, no tonic water, all slots were empty.  Maybe the stuff works and maybe it doesn't.  I have backed it up with gin and fresh lime, so it doesn't go to waste.  Got a brisket to go with our cabbage and carrots from the garden, bought an extra for the six by ten space left in a freezer.  Hope the other freezer shows up early July, as I like to freeze a lot of the veggies from the garden.
I think that Ravenwood's guy was back for soda...one cart full of Dr. Pepper, the biggest cause of tooth decay known to mankind, other than meth....  Three boxes of bone broth left, with one brand sold out, only had Sam's which was fine.  It was almost half the cost of Kroger's.  The meat counter was well stocked, very low on bacon. I will not return to Walmart.  All cashiers were wearing their masks below their noses.  One employee was running around with torn gloves.  It's like people have put the whole thing on the back burner.  Time will tell if this attitude makes a difference, my feelings are that it is bound to have a negative affect.  Stay safe, everyone!

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2020, 04:57:17 PM »
Stopped by Kroger on Hartley Bridge Rd, S. Macon.  They were out of TP and towels.  No pork.  The tonic water shelves had been restocked and were full.  The size bottle I have been buying were 10 for $10.00.  The wife put 3 dozen eggs in our cart and the girl at the register took one and said limit 2.

Scroed on my NC trip with a bag of ramps and a bag of branch lettuce.

Oh, We ate at S&S cafeteria in Macon on the way home.  Sit down inside.  We were prepared to get to go and eat in the camper.  What a treat!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 06:39:33 AM by RWS »

Abigayle

« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2020, 09:48:57 PM »
R.W.S.  Ten for a dollar....what the heck are you a drinking.....???? ;).
Canning pickles and making strawberry jam tomorrow.  Peas are filling out, almost ready.  Picked the first zucchini today.  Now I need a good recipe for sauerkraut.  Last time I made it I didn't like it.  It tasted too fresh...
Ariel

Gunner

« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2020, 12:59:57 AM »
Things here in Region 7 are chaotic at best.  Costco is open early for seniors, and that's only on T,W,TH.  They have tried to keep things on the shelf...but its buyer get there first.  I didn't see any limits on anything the other day when L and I went in there,.... but maybe I was looking at the wrong products.  Our Walmarts are closed at nights, which sadly, is when I did my prepping shopping and recon for the next day,  but I will be making a day trek out there Sat or Sun and can let people know whats going on then.   Our Publix has been good about being fair, there are posted limits on certain items but they are just making sure that its not the sale items, and that there is enou8gh to go around.   Most of the people shopping there have been pretty good about following the guide that are set up for them.   We are starting to see some more things opening up.... L and I went to breakfast the other morning … It was amazing, that was about the only thing that we have missed... our quality time hanging out and having meals out on the weekends.   If anything else changes, I;; be sure to drop a note.
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

tlwagg

« Reply #172 on: May 21, 2020, 07:18:54 PM »
This morning Walmart in Roswell had 3 kinds of hand sanitizer and Lysol spray cleaner. I stopped at the dollar store for shipping envelopes and they had the small tubes of wipes limit 3 and travel sized hand sanitizer no limit posted on those.

tlwagg

« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2020, 09:54:00 PM »
Publix has ground beef at $6.99 :( a pound but on sale right now for $4.99 a pound.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #174 on: May 27, 2020, 11:23:30 AM »
The local chicken processing plant here is still operating as the chicken trucks are still going by here every day taking another load in to the plant.

upacreek

« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »
I went to Wal-Mart today in Dallas, GA.  They had just about everything back in stock.  I even saw a single box of cloth face masks, the kind that dentists wear.  Hand sanitizer had a few different sizes and makes - for a total of about 20 or so bottles.  The meat cases were filled with the usual almost expired and gross looking meat.  Toilet paper shelves appeared filled, although I didn't walk down that aisle.  Paper towels were low, but available.  Lysol products were still low.  I get the spray bottles, but I saw the aerosol bottles still are gone.  Everything else appeared full - all frozen foods, soup, canned meat, etc seemed full.  I tend to have tunnel vision for things I buy, but I tried to be a bit more observant.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Starlady

« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »
OK!  We can now officially declare the Covid supply emergency is over......ALL the Ramen varieties are now back in stock at Cedartown WalMart, LOL!

Went this am to restock the milk-for-coffee-or-I'll-die supply, ended up restocking a bunch of things the pantry was getting low on, put the new stuff in my personal 7-11 and rotated the older stuff into the pantry.  ALL the meats & veggies were plentiful, freezers well stocked except for a very few convenience foods (breakfast biscuits, pot pies, etc.), the only thing still restricted was TP but bare spots were very few and far between,  alcohol and zinc being the only two I noted. They even had dry and condensed milk which I haven't seen since early March.    Bleach pricing seems to have gone through the roof - am I mistaken or are they now charging the 6 months ago gallon price for 1/2-2/3 of a gallon?

I find this whole supply thing pretty odd.  We done been had - well, the sheeple were anyway.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »
I must have been absent the day we talked about tonic water. What is the deal with tonic water please?
Ravenwood
Ravenwood,  After drinking tonic water in small amounts mixed with fruit juice, I can confirm one of the effects !  It makes my lower back pain go away!  Quinine is also used to treat certain types of Arthur's itus (my back pain).

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2020, 06:12:24 AM »
RWS, I don't think that the quinine will help my back pain. :( I have a slipped vertebrae and when it pinches a nerve I am in pretty bad pain. This getting old is no fun.
Ravenwood

tlwagg

« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2020, 05:41:03 PM »
There is another supplement you can try, quercetin.  https://nutritionalpharmacology.wordpress.com/2020/03/21/combating-covid-19-with-zinc-and-quercetin/ my husband says he is feeling so much better since he started taking it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal