Poll

Should I leave my home to get some food?

Yes
5 (55.6%)
No
4 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Should I go out to get more food?  (Read 2253 times)

Abigayle

Re: Should I go out to get more food?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 06:14:30 PM »
Georgia cases are increasing by 20% a day.  We are higher than Italy, and just behind China. Eleven hundred dead....still not enough testing in many areas.  So, what do you need?  Will you starve if you stay home?  Clean out your freezer.  Check out the back of cupboards?  What have you been saving for when T.S.H.T.F.  Well, guess what, it just did Two hundred thirty-seven deaths...

tlwagg

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 08:12:30 PM »
Since your post Abigayle we have taken first place we now have 83,672. We now out number China but then again we all know China lied. 21 million less cell phone users if even 5 % of those people that's well over 4 million. I hope that doesn't happen here.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Starlady

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 09:41:25 PM »
tlwagg, check your math, lol!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

ChristianJ

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 12:59:21 AM »
I have decided not to go out for now. I am still not sure if this is the right decision. I want to make it at least to the 2 week mark, which is Monday. But I know this will go further. My concern is that there really is no end in sight for this. I think it will go on for months, and only get worse, so really going sooner than later would be better. There is a window, and that window can be missed. It might already have been.

I have plenty of food and water here. I have TP. I can make do.

I have plenty of long term storage - rice, beans, grains, Mountain House, that kind of stuff. Next time this happens, I need to do a better job of my immediate term storage (what I eat on a regular basis) and mid term storage (several months of stuff probably pantry based or deep freeze based that I can transition to long term storage with, by eating). In short, I have the bulk stuff and also the #10 can stuff but did not take the next step to think about a transition plan from normal foods to bug-in foods. I did not have a plan, and that will change for the next time.

I don't really want to tap into the long term food, for at least a few reasons. One, I don't want to use it in case things get worse. Two, transitioning to rice/beans/oats will be rough on the digestive system. Three, for comfort and emotional reasons that I won't get into in this post.

I am just going to eat everything in the fridge, then the pantry, then transition to food storage and freezer. I am going to take notes for next time, if there is a next time (which I think there will be). I also still reserve the right to go out and re-stock. LOL.

This is the most anticlimactic apocalypse ever. I thought we'd be running guns with body armor and a good dog at our side  8) , not debating whether or not to go to the grocery store for bread and vegetables :o .
Christian pastor & theologian

Starlady

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 08:13:11 AM »
If you believe there's a good possibility of this going on longer, it would be better to crack open some rice and beans and start a slow transition now.  Maybe a light lunch instead of a heavy dinner, with some of your normal food alongside - a salad, a piece of fresh fruit....or even make the r&b a side dish.  Good luck.

This is why it has always been said "store what you eat and eat what you store" - not a criticism, just a reminder to everyone.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

John Galt 1

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 08:25:38 AM »
my answer would depend on if I NEEDED food. If I don't NEED food then I would not go out. You don't NEED cheetos You WANT them. If You have what you need to survive then why risk going out?

But I crave fresh veggies.     To me that's worth going out for.     
My wife used to stop at the store several times a week, usually on her way home from work.     But now we go about once a week.    Rarely do we see anybody wearing a mask or wipe anything down but there are a lot fewer people in the store and people are staying further apart.

Another reason to go to the grocery store is that with us being at home the last week we are trying some interesting recipes to liven life up.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

ProGeek

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 10:58:23 AM »
If you have a N95 mask and hand sanitizer, I say go for it. Remember, beards and masks are a no-go. Time to shave.  :(
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

cope

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
yes as a prepper you missed that window long ago. Remember we have known about the virus since December here in the USA. Jan and Feb you should have done all your shopping you were going to do.
At this time you risk coming in contact with someone back then you could have gotten away with it. But not now.
If you absolutely have to go out because you are starving and won't make it wear n95 mask, take small bottle of hand sanitizer with you.
Once you get back to your car drench your hands in sanitizer.
Coat the steering wheel with sanitizer.
Once you get home and get all bags inside sanitize all things in those bags. Lysol spray.
Take off clothes now that you are done, Place in the wash with Clorox cleaner.
Shoes should be sprayed HEAVILY with lysol bottoms tops and inside.

aces

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 02:07:29 PM »
Not all practical recipes and ideas from this Nashville station since many will not have these ingredients in their suggestions.  But thought I would share.

https://www.wsmv.com/news/us_world_news/grocery-rules-for-your-coronavirus-lockdown-buy-beans-freeze-milk/article_4a86ff2c-ff8c-5e59-8d13-22422cc9847c.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal