Author Topic: Looking for a recipe  (Read 1085 times)

tlwagg

Looking for a recipe
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:50:54 AM »
I'm looking for a very old recipe of Goose Grease, my grandma used to make it for us. I've been trying to find it for years and haven't had much luck. I'm sure some of the older people will know what I'm talking about.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

icequeen

Re: Looking for a recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:36:55 PM »
I've never heard of that. Is that what it sounds like?

tlwagg

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »
Something like what it sounds like. My grandmother made it from goose renderings and some other things. I remember it being used when I had the croup, I also remembering not liking to have that rubbed into my chest because of the smell but it worked.  I've looked for the directions to make it several times over the years and can't find them. I worked with a women years ago who said they sold it in pharmacy's in Mississippi.

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 04:34:14 PM »
Go to bing and search, it just popped a whole bunch of recipes and even some for chest congestion.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 04:41:26 PM »
The only known side effects are rapid quacking, and a slight waddle.  These pass in time....So sorry,  I am going nuts here!  All at once it hit me.  I did well for a whole month.  Now, I just want a quick trip through Hobby Lobby, or a group of ten people, even six feet apart sounds wonderful. A gun show sounds great....anything, right after I get a hair cut...

Starlady

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 04:49:07 PM »
For me, it's knowing that I CAN'T (or shouldn't) go out. 

Yes, I'm perverse that way.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

florida44

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 05:20:36 PM »
Starlady - TLWagg is right I find it weird you can find recipes for the remedy but when I look there are links that mention it but not how to make it or even buy it as the remedy already. I am thinking that there has to be more ingredients to the recipe that just the goose fat.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Abigayle

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 05:57:02 PM »
Star Lady, It's like when they talk about taking your guns away....so you go out and buy two more...  I understand
On the Goose Fat, I am guessing that is a base, you can use it for cooking, or add something, like camphor to use it as a rub to aid in congestion.  Maybe used like coconut oil in some home remedies today.
Ariel

florida44

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 06:33:35 PM »
I agree about the goose fat - but there is mention and even a pic of an old label called "goose greese" - my thought is goose grease is the remedy and it has goose fat as a base
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Starlady

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 08:39:11 PM »
After hours of looking, it seems like this is such an old remedy there are not any specific measurements for it.  Kind of like the whiskey/honey recipe.  Some whiskey, add honey, drink.

I had found numerous mentions of nutmeg, pine oil, onions (both cooked and fresh sliced), garlic, rosemary and honey - not all at the same time, lol.  That's what I was referring to.   No specific formulas, though.  Some have you mix it all up and then rub on, some have you put the fat/grease on a cloth, sprinkle your choice of additive and then wrap on the chest or back.

I forgot to note the sites, but there were at least two you could buy it from it.  I think one had menthol, one had camphor.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 07:40:07 AM »
My grandmother would make a plaster of fried onions and put on my chest when I was a child. I remember her placing the cloth with the hot onions on it and made me lay down for awhile. I am guessing it must have been for congestion.
She also gave us a teaspoon of sugar with two drops of turpentine on it every spring, not sure what on earth that was for but it tasted pretty nasty.
Ravenwood

tlwagg

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 07:59:55 AM »
Starlady until the day I left home my mother kept a jar of the in the bottom draw in the bathroom. Grandma put it in baby food jars and it was  kind of a gray color. I don't have any idea if it was still good or if she just kept it because her mother made it.

Nemo

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 01:15:21 PM »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Starlady

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »
Do NOT have a glass of wine before you try to read that, though.

Translation is horrible - half of it makes no sense.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal