Author Topic: I have sweet shrub  (Read 1172 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
I have sweet shrub
« on: March 30, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »
Boy do I have sweet shrub.  They are blooming now so I took some pictures.

Starlady

Re: I have sweet shrub
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »
Can you tell us about it?  I've not heard of it before.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »

Country Singer

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 05:47:49 PM »
I did some digging (so to speak) and found this:Carolina Allspice (Calycanthus floridus):
Cherokee tribes brewed the roots and bark as teas to soothe a variety of ills, and European settlers later drank similar teas to soothe jangled nerves.  The plant contains an alkaloid that has a powerfully depressant action on the heart. A fluid extract has been used as an antiperiodic.  A tea made from the root or bark has been used as a strong emetic and diuretic for kidney and bladder ailments. A cold tea has been used as eye drops in the treatment of failing eyesight.  An ooze from the bark has been used to treat children's sores, whilst an infusion has been used to treat hives.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 06:11:57 AM »
From a poster on another forum.

Yeah, sweetspice or spicebush.
Have to watch that one because there's a yellow one that goes by spicebush, too, and the "nut" gets used for an allspice (lindera vs. the calycanthuses).

A lot of the medical uses counteract something or interact poorly with common meds, so do a LOT of research if there are preexisting symptoms, unrelated symptoms, and other medications are already in use. The calycanthine alkaloid is related to strychnine - good and bad aspects - so know it ahead of time and trial in small doses. With all the contraindications, it's not one to leave on a list/chart to test the first time in an already-emergency situation.
Like, the fruits also got used as pest poisons by some of the natives.

The twigs also get used for flavoring tea and heavy wines. Easterners have tons of other options that are even more numerous and common, so neither of our predominant vars get used for it as much, but in the west, their native var. .occiidenttalis got used for sieves, herb drying racks, woven baskets, arrows, their version of wattle, small cages, stuff like that.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 07:29:47 AM »
RWS, if you have babies of this shrub, please pot me up one or two. I have been looking for this shrub for years. My Grandmother had one when I was a child, I loved to smell the spicy blossoms. Never knew it was also medicinal.
Ravenwood

tlwagg

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 08:01:17 AM »
RWS I'll trade you an aloe plant for one.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 09:12:31 AM »
RWS, if you have babies of this shrub, please pot me up one or two. I have been looking for this shrub for years. My Grandmother had one when I was a child, I loved to smell the spicy blossoms. Never knew it was also medicinal.
Ravenwood
I will pot you up one, that's why I posted that I had some..  They will self propagate.  They put out roots and just pop up.  Not too bad to pull up and discard the extras, but they do run.  Next time I come North for a group function, I will bring it.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 11:59:30 AM »
Ravenwood
You are in luck.  I found 3 side by side and got them all with one shovel full.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 12:24:52 PM »
RWS I'll trade you an aloe plant for one.
Well I already have an aloe plant but I dug you up one anyway.  This one appears to be a two year old bush as it has a couple blooms on it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal