Author Topic: Iowa, THE HEART OF OUR FOOD SUPPLY  (Read 1318 times)

Abigayle

Iowa, THE HEART OF OUR FOOD SUPPLY
« on: April 26, 2020, 08:20:27 PM »
GOOGLE...Des Moines Register, Food processing situation.  There are articles regarding closures of processing plants.  Some will (might) re-open, some may not.
Laying hens, hogs and cattle are being destroyed.  Much of what the Icefarmer has said recently, is backed up by the numerous reports in The Des Moines Register.  While this is a very liberal paper, the facts are the facts.  We lived in the state for a good deal of our lives and friends in the know are backing up what we are reading.  This is just one state, but they don't call it "the heartland for nothing..  Sorry I am not better at links... Public broadcasting System P.B.S. Market to Market is another source to watch.  Check out the one on truck drivers....

Abigayle

Re: Iowa, THE HEART OF OUR FOOD SUPPLY
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 12:51:03 PM »
I picked up a drive up order at Kroger today, Thorn ran in to get more pork, as I had ordered two on line.  The sign said limit two items.  He was not sure if that applied to the pork or if it applied to the meat counter.  He got his pork and got out of there....not a big shopper.
Here is what I did not get that I ordered: Ranch dressing Hot dog buns, KC BBQ Sauce, Glad tall kitchen bags, Lysol spray (I ordered one of each of every kind they showed on line, got none) Quilted Northern Ultra soft toilet paper (a girl can dream...) No boxed beef broth...
Wine and beer were plentiful, so the rubbing alcohol in the epidemic stash is still safe.
Ariel

8greenbeans

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 02:21:21 PM »
At our Kroger it is 2 of each meat. I'm also discovering a lot of friends are not getting certain items (varied, nothing specific) when doing clicklists. BUT I go in person and can get all those things without issue. It just makes me wonder why there's such an issue with the clicklists shoppers not getting the items they order.

Yes, iceagefarmer has been on it and reporting so much of what's going on everywhere all in one place. Sure do see a bigger picture when it's all in one spot.

USMC Veteran, LEO Mama
Navy MIL, USAF Vet Mama
Army Daughter
8 Beans
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
3 Beans-in-law, 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 08:00:42 PM »
8 Green Beans, good observation!  When we get bits and pieces, things don't look that bad.  When we get hit with one instance after another, we know it is not being blown out of proportion and in fact, may be played down in some instances.
When I used to get into my seed storage, I would grumble to myself "there is something wrong with you"...Now, they make me feel a little more safe.
Wish I could grow some bullets.  Lots of things I would like to re-learn, but the days are not long enough right now.

Gunner

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 02:14:32 AM »
We have been fairly lucky.  We have hit the two item limit in our stores, (Publix, IGA), but not a big problem for us.  we have the pantry and  the LARDER... so we are doing good.  We have so  many other problems, our sump pump went out and had to be replaced... also found that the pipe was the wrong type and size from the previous installation... so + 180 ft of new pipe.... things are not looking good for now.... but will be getting better soon!
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 11:25:59 AM »
I had a dream.
I DIDN’T WANT TO SEE WHAT I SAW, BUT I SAW WHAT I SAW SO, I WAS SO UNDONE THAT I JUST SAID WHAT I SAW. AND I SAW ALL THESE PEOPLE AND THEY HAD BEAUTIFUL CARS, 4 BY 4’S AND LEXUS, MERCEDEZ, BMW’S, TOYOTAS. THERE THEY WERE WITH FANCY SHINY CARS, BUT THEY WERE STANDING IN LINE.

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2020/05/15/you-may-not-understand-this-now-but-you-need-to-get-prepared-for-the-food-shortages-that-are-coming/

ProGeek

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 02:54:32 PM »
Ground beef is still hard to get at a reasonable price. I found a local source that grinds their own.  ;D $4.99/lb for chuck is cheap right now. I wanted some Boars Head roast beef at Ingles and couldn't get any. I had problems getting frozen shrimp a few weeks ago. Chicken and ham are available most of the time. Mac & Cheese, soups, yeast, toilet paper, and dry beans are still in low stock. Powdered milk and Lysol wipes have been out of stock for months. Survival foods are out of stock or for unreal 3x prices.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

tlwagg

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 05:50:32 PM »
Boars Head ham is hard to find around here.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal