Author Topic: Are you tightening up? Loosening up? Status quo?  (Read 2230 times)

Lilburner

Are you tightening up? Loosening up? Status quo?
« on: May 02, 2020, 01:17:40 PM »
Looks like this is going to be with us for a while. Are you changing protocols at all?

I'm loosening up somewhat. I didn't go anywhere except curbside pickup for three weeks, and one emergency trip to Harbor Freight in mask and gloves - in and out. Got what I needed and wiped it down with Clorox wipes in the truck. Same with my groceries.

I'm avoiding large places now - Walmart, Home Depot. Not going in convenience stores. Mostly smaller places like Harbor Freight and Dollar General. The last couple places I've worn gloves, but not mask, because it seems like touching your face is still the primary transmitter in a scenario where you're not surrounded closely by people.

It's starting to sound like the best that can happen for a year if more is to get a very mild case of it. I'm loading up on C, D, and Zinc, and I've been challenging my immune system all my adult life. I feel like opening up somewhat, from being completely in a bubble, to taking precautions to ensure any exposure is VERY SMALL may be the better course of action.

How about y'all?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

Re: Are you tightening up? Loosening up? Status quo?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 02:30:45 PM »
Yeah, stay the hell away from WM if you can.  They've put markers on the floors and changed all the aisles to one way - nobody can read apparently and are just shopping like normal, cutting in front, alongside, bringing the kids who are running around the aisles playing and doing whatever.  The shoppers at Home Depot seemed much more conscious of distance and safety.

I stopped with masks, too.  Just gloves & distancing.  I did stop at a Circle K yesterday, everyone was being cautious - it was actually more pleasant than Wally World. 

But this time of year for me is full of baby birds and gardening, so I don't usually do a lot of running around anyway.  When I need a 'get off the farm' fix, I'll hit Hobby Lobby or Ollie's about 25 miles from me.  I wiped down groceries twice but have gotten a bit lax lately.  I'll open boxes and get rid of the cardboard, putting contents in another container and mostly just let the non-refrigerated stuff sit in the (now) hot car for a few days.  I do combine trips (food, feed, bank, gas, etc.) so I only wipe down the car once, although I remove the gloves before touching the door.

But I will continue to pay attention and adapt as warranted.   I've been fortunate not to have to dig into supplies at all and been able to replace whatever pantry/fridge/freezer items I've used every couple of weeks.  So, really, the biggest difference in the past 3 months for me was wearing masks & gloves.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

tlwagg

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 02:58:40 PM »
I've made several trips to WM, Publix, Costco and Sam's. All I trips have been done when they open to avoid people and have been using mask. I ran into Home Depot garden center to look for a plant not using a mask I didn't think I'd find it so I didn't take a mask. I found it so I used the outside self-checkout. I need a hair cut but I'm not sure about getting one now.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 03:42:05 PM »
The wife said "guilty as charged".  She went to WM this AM early.  She said it did not matter which direction she went as she was the only one there (or so very few).  She left early this AM saying she was suffering from Ollies withdrawal.

tlwagg

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 05:14:25 PM »
RWS that's the thing, if you go early no one is there. I don't know why more people don't do it.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 12:00:07 PM »
I think we have to ease up a little on it or go crazy.  We will still take all the usual precautions.  If the heat takes it down a notch that will be nice.  There is a new cluster in the town next to us.  Nineteen nursing home employees have tested positive, along with a large number of residents.  So just when you start thinking about taking a breath, something comes up to make you re-think.  I am worried that if we don't get out some, we will be back in late fall and we will never get out of here!  Heading out to put cushions on the outdoor sofa, so I can pretend I am somewhere else today....  By the way, as of last week, all but one patient in the I.C.U. at Spalding Regional, are Covid-19.   To be exact, thirty patients..

cope

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 11:37:47 AM »
I don't shop Walmart anyway so my social distancing is working well from Walmart LOL :)

I use Kroger and Publix for grocery stores as well as a small mom and pop locally owned for daily needs. The mom and pop is usually better off than the others and social distancing and cleanliness much better. I usually go to Sams Club once a month anyway.
Im still following mask and sanitizer when in public as my father is an at risk person who's had heart attack and issues in the past, my brother in law who also lives on the property has a pacemaker as well so with all of us living on the property we all try to do best practices. My mother and sister also live here we have two homes on 37 connected acres.

Gunner

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 01:38:14 AM »
Sad to admit, for me, its business as usual.  have been at work everyday since this thing started...and it doesn't look like its going to let up on us. Our cheap ass company, promised us masks on the 27th of March... we just got them in... Kleenex would have been a better investment for us.  I have been wearing my mask and/or neck gaiter at work... but now that's even silly... My students have been here for 20 weeks... not one of them is sick... I feel safe with them than I would at Walmart......
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

YellowRose

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 10:36:39 AM »
I've been keeping my precautions up for the most part.  Gloves and mask when I go to the food store, which has only been once every few weeks, and wipe everything down when I get home.  I still disinfect every package that comes in, or let it sit for a few days.  I try to limit social interactions to outdoors.  Periodically I do have to go out to work, but there are very few people around, and masks are mandatory.  Not living in a bubble, but still taking significant precautions.  The level of long term damage this virus seems to cause concerns me a great deal. 

John Galt 1

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 09:21:42 PM »
We've made very few changes with the possible exception of fewer visits to stores and restaurants.      But that's mostly because most stores are at least semi-closed.     We don't wear masks but we do wash our hands a lot more and make some effort to stay further from others..

Many friends are serious about protecting themselves so we visit less and stay further apart.      While we have masks I haven't worn one yet but the little lady wears one when working her 2nd job (job requires her to wear a mask).       Her primary job has her working from home.

One thing I've noticed is people who are better educated and make a higher income are more likely to distance themselves from others, especially if they are older.     The $12 to $25 per hour workers seem more likely to shake hands and minimize precautions.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 06:30:32 AM »
Both,  I am loosening up and traveling out of state.  I am contemplating plowing a new spot for late corn.  I am thinking of planting some of my Stowells evergreen corn to propagate some more seed.  I only have 25 lb in the freezer.

https://www.seedsavers.org/stowells-evergreen-organic-corn

Rockhopper

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »
Loosening up. I still wear an N-95 mask since I can take it off without touching my face; I just use my pinky fingers to hook around the straps in the back for removal. Sure I touch the back of my head but it's not close to my eyes, nose, or mouth where entry occurs. Often I wear gloves then shed them in the garbage upon exiting; this also leaves my hands clean for removal of the mask. I've switched to showering at night or the end of the day versus the morning; this way I'm helping to remove any exposure.

A study coming out of Indonesia measured vitamin D levels in covid-19 patients and found that 96% of those who died had low levels. Why isn't Dr Fauchi talking about this? I'll post a link to an interview of a doctor who discusses this in detail with Joe Rogan. She goes over a lot more interesting material including dosage, etc.

ProGeek

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »
We went out for a sit down dinner at the restaurant our daughter works at, she waited on us. Mostly the same as the past couple of months. Went to Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Publix wearing a mask. I didn't get out too much before all this hit. 
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Abigayle

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 08:27:14 AM »
Local news this morning (I think it was cancelled 11, I channel surf... "C.D.C. now saying there are no known cases of the virus being transmitted from a surface.  While the virus may be present, it is not in a transmittable form.  It would be great if we could take this information to the bank, but they change opinions like underwear.....

8greenbeans

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 07:01:33 PM »
Well, our lives barely changed as it is aside from the things like certain stores not open and watching church line rather than attending in person ... And my job industry being shut down for a time. MrBeans & Bean2 still went to work daily working with the public (within our household .... All of our children and in-laws continued to work except the one in the same industry as me). I shopped here and there like I did before. Only my dad and cousin remained quarantined here at home.

Before, we relied on thieves oil to help protect against all manner of germies and that's what we continue to do.

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal