Author Topic: Helpful for deer and garden bugs...  (Read 3197 times)

Abigayle

Helpful for deer and garden bugs...
« on: May 09, 2020, 10:42:50 AM »
Organic spray
1 Bulb of garlic, chopped
1 small onion, chopped 1 t cayenne pepper (I round it in the spoon)
Mix with one quart of water and let sit for an hour
pour through cheese cloth, or whatever you use, add a T. of dish soap, stir lightly and put in sprayer bottle. 
I double this, due to the size of our gardens.  You will notice fewer squash bugs and in time they are mostly gone, also great for aphids and white fly.  We have not had deer, while I neighbors continue to have them.
After I strain all the chopped stuff off. I tie it in a little mesh bag made out of the cheese cloth and place a bag in the corner of each garden, where deer are most likely to travel.  No promises, but we have had good luck.
We also have added The Original Nite Guard Solar deer and animal repellants.  They have been up two years.  One is aimed up the drive and looks like a warning system four two legged intruders.  Since they are around the property, they look like a sophisticated system. So far so good. We bought the first one at Ison's Nursery, but Thorn found them cheaper on Amazon.  We tie  Irish Spring in the orchard, but the rains wash if out fast.  We used to use hair, back in the day, when we got haircuts... :(
Egg shells help around squash, as does diatomaceous earth.  We also wrap the base of the stems with foil....Georgia is a never ending bug fest!!!
Ariel

tlwagg

Re: Helpful for deer and garden bugs...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 11:55:10 AM »
To keep the snails and slugs out I clean my egg shells and dry them in the over then crumble them up and spread them around the plants. It adds calcium to the soil and snails and slugs don't like the sharp edges of the.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 12:57:45 PM »
That and beer in a jar cap.  You can also put down a plastic bag and after a rain, lots of slugs will be attached to the underside of the bag, or sack, whichever you prefer to call it.

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 12:23:31 PM »
I just re-read my original post here, and realized I didn't add one of our main deterrent to the deer.  We put seven foot T-posts around the orchard.  Using the plastic insulators for electric fencing we put four on each post.  Next we ran fish 30lb fish line through the insulators.  When we got to the gate on each one, a sinker was tied to the end so it could just be dropped on the first insulator in each row, on the right, forming a complete circumference. This worked to keep the deer, and apparently the raccoons, out of the orchard for almost three years now.  This was the first year we had fruit, as we planted the orchard.  We had over thirty peaches on one tree and did not have an issue.  The first year apples were fine as well.  Equally important, is the fact that the trees did not get munched down.  We did have one electric fence light blinking for the duck house at night.  I am sure the other lights I mentioned on my first post helped keep them out of the yard to begin with.  Our next door neighbor lost all their grapes, ours were fine.  One fence line was covered but the actual vineyard Thor built was not and we did not have an issue.  Now that we have gone almost three full years, I feel comfortable saying that it works.  Deer, have poor eyesight, so if they touch the lines with their noses, they back off.  The only trauma to the fence was human error and quickly remedied.
Ariel

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal