Author Topic: Roll Call May 23, 2020  (Read 137 times)

Ravenwood1950

• Bugged Out
    • http://www.arrl.org/ares
Roll Call May 23, 2020
« on: May 23, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »
Many thanks to those who have served our country and those that 'gave all' in the service of our country. How grateful I am for the sacrifices they have made. Let us all pray that their lives were not nor ever will be in vain. God Bless our country and help it to prosper righteously.
Check in with us folks and let us know you are ok.
Ravenwood

upacreek

Re: Roll Call May 23, 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 01:12:55 PM »
I got to wake up early to let a plumber in.  Never a good thing, but this one just might be the best in a long time since it might be a simple and cheap fix - as opposed to over $60K fix the last time.  Everything is relative and thank God (somewhat) for insurance for that big one.  I didn't meet with a designer last week.  It got pushed to this week.  I just hope it happens soon.  I want to get things going.

My garden is finally cleared of weeds - it should last a day or two.  It's getting hot!  Plants are doing great.  Anyone not gardening and quite a few that do probably hate the play by plays, but I love seeing things I created grow.  They're a hell of a lot easier than teenagers and you don't get in trouble when they wind up on your dinner plate.  I don't have enough for a dinner plate yet, but I ate my first snap pea this week and the summer squash should be ready to pick this week.  The cucumbers and okra are taking their sweet time getting started.

Home life is still going pretty great.  The beasts are about the best I've heard about.  They help out when I ask, get along great with each other, and haven't gone crazy being constrained to the house.  The older one is really enjoying not going anywhere.  The younger one is trying to get started with a videography company.  He's doing some travel/hiking videos while we can't get out much more than that.  I'm just about fully recovered from the 1000+ steps at Tallulah Gorge.  What a gorgeous park!  We did end the week with the bad news that my last great aunt passed away "from Covid."  She was in her 90's, had alzheimers for ages, and was in a MA nursing home.  What is really terrible is that that side of the family is full of good Irish Catholics.  Only 10 can attend the funeral, including clergy and staff.  That won't even allow all her kids to be there at once.  My aunt said that they did allow all her kids in to individually see her once just before she passed.  This stupid virus sucks.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 02:40:08 PM »
Up A Creek... Being a large Irish family, they will more than likely have a Wake.  This usually includes an open bar.  Many fond memories of your great aunt will be shared.  Maybe they can do it now, with social distancing.
That is the great part of any large family.  What one does not remember, another one does.  New tales unfold and you get to know that person better than ever...The younger version, before hard times...that do indeed...suck...  Sorry for your loss.
When my grandmother McNally died, there was a great deal of laughter at her Wake.  I was only ten, and this made me angry.  I didn't understand, what a wonderful tribute that was at the time.
Ariel

upacreek

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:18:47 AM »
Abigayle - I've been to a few on that side.  The 4 sisters (my grandma and 3 great aunts) are terrible Irish, or really lucky.  Them and their blood lines get drunk off 2 drinks and tipsy with the first part of a glass.  They didn't drink a whole bunch at our get togethers, but there were a lot of us and we grew every year.  They knew the value of booze though. During WWII, my grandma was in the Coast Guard.  She bribed a pilot with a bottle of booze for a joy ride in his plane.  I can't imagine if that'd happened today. lol This aunt became the matriarch of the family when her older sister got too frail.  She took anyone in (like me) and was about the kindest person you could meet.  I can thank her and my uncle for meeting my husband.  I came to that town when I left CA because they offered a place to stay.  My husband grew up just a couple miles up the street.  They didn't set us up, but put me in the right place at the right time. I have a lot of great memories of all our holidays together.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 04:51:06 PM »
My granddaugther, age 22+ relearned the meaning of the expression "snap chat". We did several quarts of bean together.  Some were included with lunch and others are in the dehydrator, for soup this winter.  Froze more broccoli and also dehydrated some more for soup.  It rained all morning so no garden work, with the exception of tying up a few tomato branches, without touching the wet leaves.  I am getting some yellowing with all this rain, so need to spray again.
Our ten baby Peking ducks are to arrive Friday.  I noticed they are shipping them from Wisconsin, so was not thrilled with that new awareness.  Hopefully they will arrive alive.  Thorn is still working on a house for the new arrives (in his head....don't ask..) instead of using the chicken tractor, we will keep them in big tubs at first, for easy cleaning.
We have started putting straw and grass down over cardboard, in different gardens, so far, we like the result.  Another week is half over without hitting the gun range.  Our granddaughter is half way through her six foot distance here, so things will be a bit more normal (new normal) in another week.  Time to candle the chick eggs for the last time tomorrow.  They will hatch in about nine days from then.
With rain last night and most of today, still have aphids and white fly on plants.  The rain was heavy, so there goes that theory.  Have a good week, everyone.

RWS

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »
We have been busy with the gardens and grass cutting.  We are picking squash, cucumbers and a few green beans.  Blueberries are in full swing.  The family from the farm came and picked.  I could not give them any squash or cucumbers as they have a garden.  They have 4 small children.  The oldest boy looks to be about 7.  I mentioned quinine and the 7 yr old boy made a face.  I said  "You know about quinine"?  He made a face again and shook his head yes.  I told him to take a juice glass of his favorite fruit juice about 2/3rds full and fill the rest of the way with tonic water.  I told him it tastes much better that way.  The whole family is on tonic water.
5-30   We have company in for the weekend. (Family)  They are going home with 5 gallons of blueberries, 1/2 bushel of cucumbers w/ half sour pickle recipe, Bell peppers and a few early tomatoes.  They said they would be back in 3 weeks.  That should be about the 4th of July week.  We will be winding up the blueberries then and may have some corn left.  Peas may be ready then.  They picked up peaches at the farmers market for $13.00 a box.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 10:05:43 AM by RWS »