Author Topic: Sewing and Fabric Storage  (Read 865 times)

Ravenwood1950

Sewing and Fabric Storage
« on: May 25, 2020, 10:54:37 AM »
This list/information comes from the LDS Food Storage group I am a member of. I thought it was worth sharing as we may not have considered these items as essential as they have recently become.
Ravenwood

We have seen the importance of sewing skills and a store of sewing supplies
and fabrics in the recent weeks. Consider adding fabric and sewing supplies
to your list as you restock your home storage.

Store fabric for basic clothing items. Store in bins, plastic storage
boxes, suitcases, cabinets, or plastic bags. To prevent color fading and
mildewing, a cool, dark, dry storage place is necessary.

SEWING ITEMS TO STORE

* fabric
* interfacing
* lace, trims, ribbons
* bias tape
* snaps
* gripper snaps
* Velcro
* fasteners
* buttons
* zippers
* elastic
* measuring tape
* scissors
* patterns
* pattern paper
* tailor's chalk
* yarn
* embroidery floss
* thread
* bobbins
* needles
* pins
* safety pins
* sewing machine needles
* machine oil
* machine light bulbs

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Sewing and Fabric Storage
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »
It is really funny you should mention this.  6 months ago i suggested to the wife that she stock up on some extra thread, just in case.  Well we were told to stay home and plant a garden.  I planted three using seed from my freezer.  The wife made 3 quilts.  We went to Warner Robins last week shopping.  She came out of JoAnns just a fussing.  No white thread in the whole store and she was out.  Then I gave her a big I told you so.

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »
Add Hooks & Eyes to that list.....for ladies undergarments, lol.

And Jeans Thread - super heavy for your blue jean repairs, you'll need a 16 or 18 needle.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 02:59:56 PM »
A few years ago, I made my first dress.  I wore it to church shortly after it's completion.  Women kept coming up to  with big smiles, proclaiming "Oh, Abigayle, you made a dress!"  So storing fabric, is not in this prepper's future.  I guess if things are really bad, I won't mind if Thor and I look like the Walton's.
I will store yard for the simple hats and scarves that I am capable of making.
Storing some good work clothes makes sense for us, at this point. I do enjoy the art of sewing.  Well maybe I should not use the words art and sewing in the same sentence where I am concerned.  Hooks and eyes....that  might just work....
Ariel

tlwagg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 08:49:39 PM »
Definitely a large selection of needles of all sizes.  If your sewing you'll need to change them often if your are sewing through heavy fabric or multiple layers. I like to use a rotary cutter so I store extra blades. I also have a big box of the plastic snaps in lots of colors. I also bought plenty of patterns when Joann would sell them 5 for $5.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

YellowRose

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 11:27:15 AM »
I recently bought a bulk box of sewing machine needles.  Definitely something that is useful to have.  I have been sewing since I was a teenager, and have most of the things on the list already.  I even have a treadle sewing machine, for if the power goes out.  Sewing is a bit of a barter plan for me if SHTF.  Maybe I should stock up on more bobbins.  And more thread is always a good idea.  I have a large box of extra fabric already.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal