Author Topic: REVIEWING: socks  (Read 1740 times)

BennyMG1

REVIEWING: socks
« on: May 28, 2020, 09:53:27 AM »
This may sound like a boring and dumb topic, but I consider socks an important area garment prepping. My biggest problem is that I am CHEAP. Those that know me, know I’ll “Macgyver” anything. I learned how to darn socks because I was always wearing holes in them. The commander thought I was crazy to keep repairing worn out socks. I was (am) hard on socks. I’m on my feet all day at the hospital and then spend most of my off time working at our property. I’d generally have to start repairs on socks after about six months and found that I could squeeze a little over a year of use out of a pair. What I’ve discovered (with the help of my better half) is that you get what you pay for when it comes to good socks. She told me that she wore a brand called Fox River through several deployments to the sandbox and she STILL has them.....and they are in great shape.

So it wasn’t that I was particularly hard on socks...I was just buying cheap butt socks. So I ordered a pair of $18 socks!!! It hurt my pride so bad. Heck, I try not to pay that much for pants!

I’m here to testify: Fox River socks ROCK. I have the full calf, full support version and I LOVE them. They have improved my all around comfort and they are made to last.

By the way, I also have tried Ryno Gear socks and UnderArmor socks. Fox River has them beat by a mile.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

Country Singer

Re: REVIEWING: socks
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
Buy once, cry once!
Two sock brands that I like:
Injinji (no blisters!)
Darn Tough (made in USA, lifetime guarantee)
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

florida44

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 11:23:20 AM »
okay my question since you know me and if have a chance I will stick with flip flops. Well obviously that will not always be the best choice. I have prepped boots etc. I have wool socks prepped. But since you both are in my prep geographical area - do you have issues with your feet being too hot? I hate for my feet to sweat!. I need to prep socks for hot weather
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 11:53:36 AM »
Once I learned how to knit wool socks, I wore them year round in FL.  No wrinkly, smelly feet...ever.   Wool wicks moisture away.  I do have some cotton socks from WM but I only wear them when I haven't done laundry lately.

You DO want to pay attention to the thickness.  Boot, hiking, hunting, etc socks tend to be thicker and hold up longer - the wool strand is actually thicker than wool dress socks.  I make summer (lightweight stranded wool) socks and winter (normal or medium weight wool) socks.  There is quite a bit of crossover, most of my summer socks work in dress boots for winter - but you'll need a larger shoe size for the heavier weight socks.

It takes me 6 hrs of solid knitting to make 1 heavyweight sock, and a skein of washable sock wool usually runs $15-40,  so even at $2 an hr, $18 is really a bargain!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

BennyMG1

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 12:19:22 PM »
I tried the Rynogear Cool Max for that very reason. I have found no difference in those and the Fox River insofar as my feet getting hot and I always get black, of course they are the moisture wicking fabric too. They also make tan (what The Commander has) which might be a little cooler. I prefer the Fox River because they give a bit more compression than the RynoGear which reduces swelling and leg fatigue. I looked at the Darn Tough brand as that was the commander' top recommendation, but the ones I looked at were pretty expensive. wool is always a great choice too.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

florida44

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 12:35:40 PM »
thanks for the review Ben - and Starlady makes an excellent point when you really can not knit socks for what you are paying. I guess we will be adding some new socks to the preps. I might buy a pair of each kind to try. I also have a pair of socks by Starlady too!
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 01:06:21 PM »
I am going to try these socks as well, I have always worn 100% cotton and my feet sweat and get cold in the winter. Thanks to everyone for the reviews and sources! Foot care is extremely important in any world event!
Ravenwood

Starlady

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 01:17:24 PM »
That's another thing I forgot about wool, even in winter if they get wet - your feet stay warm.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

YellowRose

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 01:32:23 PM »
I have a ton of socks prepped.  Though they are just the cheap cotton ones that I bought in bulk.  I have a couple pairs of wool socks, though I could probably use more.

RevJammer

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 11:23:48 PM »
For years, I have picked up different socks at mostly reasonable price points.  I liked some, didn't like some...  then about 2 or so years ago I came across these...   https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B006230JXM/ref=twister_B007PLYEFO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The are Wells Lamont Wool work socks.  It is basically all I wear at this point.  The wool blend has massively eased my foot overheating and foot odor.  Amazon is now about the only place I can find them.  About a year ago, I came across them in a Rural King; I bought every pair they had in stock (XL) about 8 2pks.  I find these to have a decent price point and have been VERY durable.  I am NOT a small man and I rarely have to throw these out due to holes.

RJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal