Author Topic: SEPN Summer Event/Cookout - suggestions.  (Read 2096 times)

Lilburner

SEPN Summer Event/Cookout - suggestions.
« on: June 20, 2020, 04:50:51 PM »
We've been getting together in late August for the past however many years, and switched to our extremely popular "indoor cookout" last year at Panola Mountain State Park.

The initial thought was that we'd move it up some since we had to cancel the spring campout. Farside has been checking with the park, and they're not taking reservations.

Any thoughts? Possibilities include.

Try for another event in July

Hold off to see if we can get it in August

Or - something else

Any ideas? What would you like to do?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: SEPN Summer Event/Cookout - suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »
July is good with me as my garden will be about kaput by then.  July and August I start to have camping conflicts which may be able to manage with notice. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 07:26:42 PM by RWS »

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 07:16:23 PM »
Anywhere we can find AC or lots of shade, the month doesn't matter to me.

There's a great place between Cartersville & Emmerson off I-75, want me to see if it's open?  It's outdoors but has restrooms and several pavilions plus grills.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Rockhopper

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 12:38:14 AM »
My opinion is we should take advantage of any time for a get-together since the later we wait then we may have another shut down particularly in the fall. I could make most Saturdays except 7/18/20.

YellowRose

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 02:00:36 PM »
I am in favor of somewhere with an outdoor pavilion.  A place with outdoor air movement seems to be safer right now.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 02:29:40 PM »
I am in favor of somewhere with an outdoor pavilion.  A place with outdoor air movement seems to be safer right now.
If outdoors, then Fort Mountain should be considered to get a little elevation into the picture.  I may be able to work it in with a camping trip.  I think I am the furthest one South!

elandil

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 07:32:15 PM »
I'm down for any Saturday in July after the 4th, just need to know so I can request the day off. First sat in August will be doing a gun show (fingers crossed, if they start back by then) but any other weekend is good.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

aces

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 11:36:12 PM »
A vote for Saturday in July if park can be found.

Country Singer

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2020, 08:21:38 AM »
A vote for Saturday in July if park can be found.

Now I have that song by Chicago stuck in my head.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

tlwagg

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
What about one of those wedding venues? Lake a barn or something.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

florida44

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 11:04:51 AM »
I think the issue is there is still rules about group gatherings. Stupid Covid again ruining everything in sight
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

upacreek

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 03:44:08 PM »
I’m up for a cookout in either July or August. Would a pavilion with fans work for you guys that want to stay out of the heat?  I don’t know of any more central, but it may open up the possibilities a bit.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Lilburner

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2020, 10:53:09 AM »
The problem seems to be availability of meeting space, being that they seem to be closed.

Not sure if outdoor rental is any more available. From what I understand our Amateur Radio Field Day was canceled due to park availability.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

tlwagg

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2020, 11:16:16 AM »
Anyone have some property we could set up on?
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

Starlady

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2020, 11:51:25 AM »
Many of us do, but see the post on Shut Up Already, lol.  Most of these posts can be read by the general public just browsing.

I'll run up to Coopers Furnace this weekend and see if it's open.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal