Prepping > Gardening/Farming

Strawberries

(1/3) > >>

RWS:
Last year I picked up a 6 pack of strawberries fom Homelsss Depot.  It was late for planting strawberries but what the heck.  I had one plant lef ofer so I put it in one of the wife's flower pots.  We got a few strawberries bu the deer ate the tops of on a couple of occasions. The one I planted in the flower pot did well and is now putting out runners.  It is having babies!  So we are panning on building a dedicated 12ft by 3 or 4 foot boxed in garden box for this years crop.  Transplanting of strawberries here takes place in December.  I plan to make a screened top to go over the box to keep out the deer and the birds.  The rain should go right thru the screen wire.
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=how+to+make+strawberry+bed&iax=images&ia=images
You can see in the attached picture I set additional flower pots around the main plant so the smell plants can get their roots in the soil.  I will cut the runners off just before transplanting ??

ProGeek:
I got 25 from eburges. About half survived and 3 are putting out lots of suckers.

RWS:

--- Quote from: ProGeek on September 11, 2020, 09:06:13 PM ---I got 25 from eburges. About half survived and 3 are putting out lots of suckers.

--- End quote ---
Plant your runners in December.  Cover with mulch for the winter.  Throw away the mother plant.  Move to a new row in the garden each year.

When I was a young teen, I stayed with my grandfather and grandmother during the Summer.  They had a 32 acre farm.  Each year late Summer/Fall my grandfather would plow and bank up a row near the old strawberry row.  We the grandchildren would move the runners to the new row.  Pop would plow under the old row.  New strawberries were mulched in good for the Winter.  I guess you would still do the same today.

RWS:

--- Quote from: ProGeek on September 11, 2020, 09:06:13 PM ---I got 25 from eburges. About half survived and 3 are putting out lots of suckers.

--- End quote ---
Keep them watered well to induce runners.

RWS:
I visited Abigayle and hubbie the other day.  While there I just had to look over her gardens.  I was particularly interested in how they constructed their raised bed gardens.  They used concrete blocks made to hold the side boards, so I got online and found a great video showing this type construction.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-7-5-in-x-7-5-in-x-5-5-in-Tan-Brown-Planter-Wall-Block-16202336/206501693 8)

I am planning my new strawberry raised bed and may do a second for tumeric.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version