Author Topic: Bulk sausage? Familiar?  (Read 1187 times)

Lilburner

Bulk sausage? Familiar?
« on: January 16, 2021, 10:42:06 PM »
Found this and I'm curious about it. Fully cooked in the can. Sounds intriguing. Especially as a prep.

Thoughts? Experiences?
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Fixit

Re: Bulk sausage? Familiar?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 06:50:57 AM »
Look interesting but I make my own cured sausages.

Abigayle

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 09:14:28 AM »
I would try one can.  Even if it is just so-so. Crumble some up in your scrambled eggs and spaghetti sauce.  Sprinkle a little on a homemade pizza.  Mix it with some greens or veggies.  A little might go a long way.  Then, if the expiration date is at least 2023, put some on the shelf for more variety.  We have some Yoders canned bacon.  It is excellent, but pricey.  We bought this bath around five years ago.  Store bought bacon will stack in the corner of a freezer, use one, replace it putting it behind the last one you bought.  Any additional flavor will be a blessing.  Would rather make my own, but don't have the source any longer.  Read the label, in case it is mostly stuff you don't want in your system!  Thanks!
Ariel

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 10:01:48 AM »
Yes, trying it would be the obvious course of action.

But I'm taking a bit of a break from red meat right now to expand my culinary horizons from a rut I've gotten into.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 10:40:23 AM »
Lilburner, have you tried polar brand salmon fillets?  They are in a long oval cal, stack well without shifting and have a great expiration date.  You can get them at Walmart and other stores.  They also have herring.  Each can has some nice size fillets.  You can open it without a can opener.  I dry can crackers, so always have a light dinner or snack at hand.  Baby Bella cheese is something you may also be staying away from right now, but they are handy, since they are small and individually wrapped in wax.  I have used them long after the expiration date, on the advice of many articles discussing wax wrapped cheeses.  I should be doing what you are but have no will power.
Ariel

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 12:11:18 PM »
Willpower is the other part of it. A test of resolve.

I gave up smoking, coffee, red meat, dairy, white bread, and fried foods...

All on the same day.

Also I don't really drink or eat sweets anyway if those seem like glaring omissions.
~ Daniel Webster

ProGeek

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 12:19:36 PM »

Wow!
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Surveyor1

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 01:18:50 PM »
Willpower is the other part of it. A test of resolve.

All on the same day.

Also I don't really drink or eat sweets anyway if those seem like glaring omissions.

What day was the arraignment date and what did they book you for? :o

Seriously though congratulations on the lifestyle change, we all could take notes!  I gave up eating sushi and liver, does that count? ::)
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

Abigayle

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 01:43:47 PM »
I am hooked on sugar and my morning coffee, could probably learn to switch to tea, but have a lot of coffee.  If it is in the house, I will eat eat.  Therefore, lots of flour, sugar, jars of nuts from our tree, chocolate chips and stuff to make cakes, cookies, fudge, etc.etc. etc.  I am not a big eater and could be really skinny if it were not for sugar, which, is also in wine.  Funny though, I grow an organic garden, at all cost!  Wouldn't want to poison our bodies 8)
Ariel

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 06:21:21 PM »
I have home canned link sausages from when I got them from Zaycon and store bought patties and they did great.
Ravenwood

tlwagg

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2021, 08:04:26 PM »
I miss Zaycon :'(
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal