Author Topic: Winter Gardening In The South  (Read 959 times)

Abigayle

Winter Gardening In The South
« on: February 14, 2021, 03:03:16 PM »
We are about 45 minutes south of Atlanta.  Our greenhouse is aprox six feet wide and twelve feet long (I will measure it.  One side has three feet deep planters.  Every year, I have four tomato plants and one pepper, along with one cucumber vine that grows up strings and across the back.  On the other side of the walkway in the ground, is a variety of lettuce, and a few bok chow and kale. This in itself provides a nice addition of fresh veggies all winter long, with the aid of one or two heaters.  This would not work in grid down, but could give a good start in spring and produce aprox two months before tender plants can go outside.  When I am really into gardening, I can start 250 plants in there  and allow them to get about six to ten inches tall before putting them out.  Some are bigger.  I am posting this in the event there is someone out there thinking about a greenhouse.  This gives you a few ideas of what you can do in that space.  Do I wish I had a bigger one.....of course...I could pull more potted plants in during storms and winter over more, esp. peppers.  Meanwhile, this is what we can afford to do and it is a major blessing.  This is our third greenhouse.  The others were in MO.  They were larger and harder to heat.  Did any of you plant cauliflower this fall?  I did not, but with all the gloom and rain, it might have worked.  Broccoli, cabbage and all greens did great through all this up and down weather.  Nice to think about garden time again!
Ariel

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: Winter Gardening In The South
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 12:44:59 PM »
Today I planted a "Jujube Honey Jar" tree.  Ever hear of one?  Last year we visited a lady on the North side of town.  I think we were taking her some blueberries.  Anyway she had a Jujube tree.  She said it was in the Bible, so I looked it up.

https://unitedisrael.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/United-Israel-Bulletin-February-5-2018.pdf

upacreek

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 05:19:34 PM »
I'm planning on having a greenhouse.  How much do you rely on heat for fall/spring garden plants like lettuce and radishes throughout the winter?  I'm cheap.  I just want to get a jump on my garden, but not spend a lot heating the thing.  I assumed that I'd be able to grow the colder weather plants throughout the winter with nothing but the windows. 
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
You will probably want to have the sun shine on a concrete floor or wall that is painted black.  The heat gain in the daytime will be slowly released during the night.  Lettuce, spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale & cabbage all grow well in the Winter here so in a green house should do well further North.
 I am planning an active system using solar heated water and PEX tubing to heat the floor of a South facing sun room/greenhouse however you want to use it.  The cabin floor will also be heated the same way.

Abigayle

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 03:23:11 PM »
I have a wooden path in mine and the lettuce has done well in winter, spring and fall.  It is planted right into the ground.  I use a heater when starting summer crops like tomatoes, pepper and eggplant.  You might be able to get away with some heat pads plugged in.  Over the years, I have done better with actual heating pads, with a waterproof cover.  They lasted far longer the the expensive greenhouse pads.
I have heard of people putting charcoal in a can, when the coals were hot and not flaming they put them in a safe place.  I guessing that could be duel purpose and rid of of white fly and aphids....again...I need to try it and have no personal proof of success. 
Ariel

John Galt 1

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 10:43:22 PM »
My wife wants a greenhouse (I'm too lazy to build one) but we've stuck with some sprouting in the house with a sunlamp and then planting early and saying a prayer as we plant the 2nd set of seeds.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal