Author Topic: Forum downtime 03/27/21  (Read 2033 times)

Lilburner

Forum downtime 03/27/21
« on: March 28, 2021, 01:01:52 PM »
The forum was down yesterday for what appears to be about eight hours. From approximately 11AM to 7PM local time. It was a "500" error, which is a generic, unspecified server error.

Fortunately, we use a small, independent hosting company, and get excellent and personalized service and support. I don't have a follow-up on exactly what was wrong right now. I'll pick it back up again on Monday - let them enjoy the rest of their weekend.

If I remember correctly, this was our longest outage. By probably double or more. Downtime is always unfortunate, but at this point we have a better record than Facebook and Twitter. Not bad for about $200/year.

Updates were given on the GroupMe text group. Possibly not tremendously helpful due to the technical server-side nature of the problem. But an announcement of downtime, acknowledgement that technical support had successfully been contracted, and an alert that the forum was back up. If you're not a member, feel free to send me your text number, and I'll add you. No one else will see your number.

Related: we also found out yesterday that apparently people prone to blocking strange numbers don't get the GroupMe texts. If you're on the text group but not getting texts, you can read on the GroupMe app.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Ravenwood1950

Re: Forum downtime 03/27/21
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 03:49:49 PM »
Thanks for the update on the problem.
Ravenwood

Surveyor1

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 03:12:48 PM »
Same issue with the server or something new?  This one kinda screwed up the format of the board?  Oh well, it happens!  Glad we have A Lilburner that is technically more in tune with these operations than most!  Thanks LB!!!
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

nj_m715

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 04:02:58 PM »
I can't land on the home page, it brings me to the forum index

this happening to anyone else?
it might be a cache  issue on my browser

Surveyor1

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 04:04:00 PM »
I can't land on the home page, it brings me to the forum index

this happening to anyone else?
it might be a cache  issue on my browser

No I believe that we are all in the same boat, at least I am…
Give a man a fish and feed him a day teach him how to fish and you have a friend for life.

nj_m715

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 01:55:05 PM »
home page is back

Surveyor1

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 01:59:04 PM »
home page is back

Yehhhhhhh Lilburner, great job!  I vote that we all take up a donation and buy Lilburner a new swimsuit for the rest of the summer!  Hey LB just let us know what size Speedo you wear and we’ll get right on it for you!!!😳🤔😳

Honestly though, thanks for your hard work!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal