Author Topic: Ducks of geese and fish  (Read 3177 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Ducks of geese and fish
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »
I just bought a small farm in Region 2.  It has two small ponds that are spring fed.  I plan to rehabilitate the ponds and stock rainbow trout.  I was wondering if duck or geese could co-habit.  Would the ducks or geese eat the fish or are they just vegetarians?

ProGeek

Re: Ducks of geese and fish
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 11:54:22 AM »
I don't think trout do well in ponds. Also, ducks and geese will eat small fish and deposit lots of poop into your ponds. I would suggest you stock catfish or bass instead and limit the number of fowl.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 06:00:13 PM »
One thing is certain.  I can only put the kind of fish in the pond that the Fish & game allow.  There is a hatchery down the road I will visit and discuss the situation with before acting.  After all I think that is where the fingerlings will come from.

Abigayle

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 09:26:40 PM »
R.W.S If you are considering domestic ducks and geese, they will have to be put it at night.  That is where the expression "sitting ducks", comes into play.  Thus, the expression "Sly as a fox".  My little "quack heads" have to be in at dusk, and they know it, so, all our ducks are in a row, ready for bedtime....too cute.
Ariel

ProGeek

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 03:46:20 PM »
I can only put the kind of fish in the pond that the Fish & game allow.

That's fine. My main concern is how well trout would do in small ponds when you have ducks pooping in the water. As I recall, trout are very sensitive to water quality.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 03:56:11 PM »
Yeah and ducks require feeding and put up at night.  I guess I will forego the ducks.  It would be nice to have fish to trade but since all the neighbors have a spring and a small pond, I suspect fish are not far away. 
I get a lot of seed catalogues and one "Burgess" has Pecan trees that they advertise zone 5-9 and that area is a 7.  I am thinking the easiest thing to do is plant 2 Pecan trees, 2 English Walnut trees, 2 apple trees, 2 pear trees, 2 plum trees and 4 or so cherry trees.  That should leave enough room for a small garden.  With deer, bear and whatever else comes out of the National Forrest it may present a real challenge.  I keep thinking that I need to have food sources that require little care.  Of course I am aware of Spring pruning, uck!

Starlady

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 10:38:20 AM »
Ducks and geese can co-habit once you live there, but only if the ponds are large and there is a lot of space.   My 6 geese don't like chickens or ducks in their 400 x 60 yard.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Abigayle

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »
I did hatch out some geese and chickens by starting the geese early.  They bonded to me and to each other.  That can be tricky though...  My Pekins are very curious about the chickens and used to quack at their fence when they could get over there....little quack heads...
Ariel

ProGeek

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 09:02:32 AM »
I am thinking the easiest thing to do is plant 2 Pecan trees, 2 English Walnut trees, 2 apple trees, 2 pear trees, 2 plum trees and 4 or so cherry trees.

You will need to wrap them in 5' weld wire fencing. You and I know how long it takes for trees to become productive. I want Walnuts but it takes too many years for them to produce nuts. I probably won't be around to see that happen and I'm a good bit younger than you. I've decided to go with faster developing trees. Maybe chestnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds instead of walnuts?

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 09:33:29 AM »
I am thinking the easiest thing to do is plant 2 Pecan trees, 2 English Walnut trees, 2 apple trees, 2 pear trees, 2 plum trees and 4 or so cherry trees.

You will need to wrap them in 5' weld wire fencing. You and I know how long it takes for trees to become productive. I want Walnuts but it takes too many years for them to produce nuts. I probably won't be around to see that happen and I'm a good bit younger than you. I've decided to go with faster developing trees. Maybe chestnuts, hazelnuts, or almonds instead of walnuts?
Thanks,  That's good feedback.

Abigayle

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 02:45:38 PM »
Ison's have trees in their "instant orchard". The cost a little more but produce fruit sooner. On their website, they tell you how many days you need of below freezing for a certain variety to produce.  They give you choices that are good to plant together for the best pollination results, etc.  We had peaches and a few apples the second year.  This will be year they are covered in small pears and plums.  Each zone is different, so what works for us may not work for you.  They are on-line and have sales.  The elderberries we bought from them did great. a few trees did not do well, but they did replace them.  They ship and you can order on-line.  We strung three levels of fishing line around our orchard and to date, all is well.  We can see deer down at the pond behind the orchard.
Now that I have made that statement, something will clean us out...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:26:24 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

ProGeek

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 10:10:40 AM »
I looked at walnuts again. It's about 5-8 years before they will produce a couple of pounds of nuts. Not as bad as I thought. Still it will be many years before they produce 10+ pounds of nuts.

Fixit

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »
On walnuts I didn't have any on my place so I just got some good ones from a friend.  Then set them in a pile in the edge of the woods . Squirrels broadcasted and planted for me. . they are 20 foot tall now.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 11:41:47 AM »
I looked at walnuts again. It's about 5-8 years before they will produce a couple of pounds of nuts. Not as bad as I thought. Still it will be many years before they produce 10+ pounds of nuts.
The wife said she does not like to crack walnuts, so we have decided on pecans, hazelnuts.  Burgess seed & plant catalog pg 23 has an interesting item, 1 Almond, 2 Pecan and 1 sweet chestnut for $27.99.  Too bad I am not ready yet for nut trees.  It will be next Spring.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 11:45:54 AM »
On walnuts I didn't have any on my place so I just got some good ones from a friend.  Then set them in a pile in the edge of the woods . Squirrels broadcasted and planted for me. . they are 20 foot tall now.
I call that making nature work for you!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal