Author Topic: Solar Generator Project  (Read 4270 times)

low_n_slow

Solar Generator Project
« on: November 15, 2015, 05:47:41 PM »
Reposting this here by request since the old site is no more.

Full project plans are in this pdf.
https://app.box.com/s/68v8n6wxadid4s8kfrex
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 05:56:42 PM by low_n_slow »

Starlady

Re: Solar Generator Project
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 07:50:27 PM »
Thank you!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Nemo

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:55:37 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/naturepower-nemo-400w-12v-wind-generator?a=1015427

I have one of those all set up and spinning, wired down to a converter for 110.  I currently use it for nothing.  What would be needed to set that up to recharge your power cart instead of a solar panel?  Can it be set up for that.

I suspect it would be highly inefficient to convert to 110 to run a 12 volt charger.

But I know little about electricity.  Other than on lets it work.  Off stops it and you cannot see it until it bites you.  Then it hurts or you are really bad off.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

low_n_slow

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 10:11:10 PM »
What would be needed to set that up to recharge your power cart instead of a solar panel?  Can it be set up for that.

From reading the info in the description, I would think all you would need to charge a battery bank is the wiring from the regulator to the battery/batteries. Like the charge controller for solar panels, the regulator keeps the generator from overcharging the battery bank. It states that 7 mph wind is required to start the turbine, and 12 mph wind will generate 38 kWatts per month. If during a storm or high winds the speed increases, you want the regulator to keep the voltage from increasing beyond safe levels to charge the batteries.

The problem with wind turbines is that you need sustainable winds to keep the battery bank charged. That can be unpredictable. Even on cloudy days a solar panel will produce some charging current to the battery bank. The advantages of wind turbines is that even at night, if the wind is at a high enough speed to spin the turbine, it will charge the battery bank.

I suspect it would be highly inefficient to convert to 110 to run a 12 volt charger.

The turbine/generator is the 12 volt charger. The DC voltage from the batteries is converted to 110 volt AC via the inverter. There are parasitic losses in the inverter so size your battery bank to compensate for those losses.

Nemo

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 12:19:44 AM »
I already have the wind turbine in place.  Won't go into the long story details but just say wife's dad thought it cool.

The blades are designed to slip air at about 20mph wind.  I have seen them go to almost a standstill in high winds in good afternoon thunderstorm.  From what you say I think that would not be an issue. 

So if I understand right, it appears that a connection to the hot and cold side on the battery bank is all thats really needed?  Aside from time and wind to spin blades.  I know you would have to see it to be sure but based on all so far.

Nemo

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

low_n_slow

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 02:06:01 PM »
After reading the manual,
http://edge.rit.edu/edge/P12401/public/NaturePowerManual.pdf
I would say that once the regulator is connected to the turbine, then all you would need is the positive and negative connections from the regulator to the batteries to start charging.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 04:16:42 PM »
Maybe we should have a weekend workshop where we all can build one for our homesteads. Er, I hate to ask how much it will set me back. :(
Ravenwood

low_n_slow

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
Solar energy is like building a race car. How fast do you want to go? And how long do you want to sustain that speed?

When I built this project 2 years ago I had a goal of powering my ham equipment, a light source, and a small refrigerator for a day or two between recharges. Almost all of the main components were sourced from Amazon. The wagon cart is from Northern Tool and the interconnect cables on the batteries are from a company in Sarasota, FL called Pacer Group. I have to admit that 4/0 gauge cable may have been overkill, but I wanted to reduce any chance of voltage losses over the cables. A smaller gauge cable may work just as well and be available from Amazon. I recommend buying quality copper cables for all of the connections between the batteries and inverters.

If I remember correctly I spent around $2,200.00, but at the time a prebuilt system with less battery capacity was going for around $4,500.00.

So, do you need 2 inverters, or 400 amp hours of battery power, or even a wagon to move it around? Everyone's needs and expectations will be different, as will be the costs. At one time I had planned to build a smaller version based on a hand truck using 6 volt golf cart batteries and keeping the cost below $1,000.00. I may still do that over the winter months.

Nemo

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 09:55:31 PM »
Really nice thing is I have about 8 golf carts around here that are all 36 volt jobbers on 6 six volt batteries.  So when necessary I will have lots of batteries and be needing lots of wind.   

Nemo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal