Author Topic: Review: Zippo Hand Warmers  (Read 3929 times)

Lilburner

Review: Zippo Hand Warmers
« on: February 05, 2016, 04:43:50 PM »
Tried these out this morning - was wondering how they'd fare against the disposable ones in terms of heat, longevity, etc.

I give them a hearty and enthusiastic "Meh"

Just not really impressed. They're 20 bucks apiece. At first I just bought one thinking it would be all super hot and I could transfer it from hand to hand, then decided just to go ahead and try a second one from the start - bought them two weeks and 40 miles apart, different colors even, so the likelihood that their identical performance was representative is pretty good.

I just never could get them to do anything impressive. Putting skin to bare metal was almost instantly uncomfortable, but with them in the velvet pouch they just never gave good heat - subpar to the disposables I thought. They're super big and bulky in gloves. they're a lot bigger than they look - closer to a deck of cards than a Zippo lighter. They take a long time to light, it's hard to get them lit, and there's no instant feedback to whether they're actually "lit" or not since they're flameless. You pretty much just have to hang on to it for a minute and see if it's warm.

All in all, I prefer disposables. And lighter fluid is a pretty specific thing. It took the better part of half a bottle to fill two (and once you light them you can't put them out). I can't imagine a time when I would have burned through hundreds of disposable hand warmers but have a large enough quantity of lighter fluid to keep them viable.

I haven't studied on it, but if there's a substitute (kerosene?) that you can put in there, they might be viable for when all the disposable ones are used up.

Hothands are being clearanced out for the season at Walmart for $5. All else being equal I'd rather have 8 packs of those for my $40

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
Re: Review: Zippo Hand Warmers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 05:51:56 PM »
The only thing I know about Zippo's is the lighters work better. Light faster, have a better flame after they have been used a while and refilled a time or two. Not sure I understand the flameless part of these and lighter fluid. If there anything like the lighters, their full performance will not be had until the 3rd or 4th try or refill/
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 06:08:51 PM »
I was just reading that elsewhere, that they get better as they go along.

I've always had the utmost respect for Zippo as a company and this performance seemed out of sorts with their reputation. I will continue experimenting and I'm hoping still to find that they're as good as I'd hoped yet.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Country Singer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 07:44:11 PM »
And lighter fluid is a pretty specific thing.

Try Naptha from a hardware store, it's essentially the same thing as lighter fluid...and much cheaper.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_622037-78-GJVM190___?productId=50298057&pl=1&Ntt=naptha

“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

florida44

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 09:22:16 PM »
glad to see this review as I have one packed away and everytime I sat in a tree with handwarmers this deer season I kept thinking I should try it out. Just hand warmers are more convenient so did not fool with it. Keep updating if they get better with time.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Nemo

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 10:21:27 PM »
I was just reading that elsewhere, that they get better as they go along.

I've always had the utmost respect for Zippo as a company and this performance seemed out of sorts with their reputation. I will continue experimenting and I'm hoping still to find that they're as good as I'd hoped yet.

Call, write, email Zippo.  I am 385% confident they will deal with your concerns and give you enough info to make it right.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal