Author Topic: Effectively free saw for your BOB  (Read 2304 times)

Lilburner

Effectively free saw for your BOB
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:18:50 PM »
When I say "free" - I mean both in weight and volume, though they're not expensive and you may have some around the house.

This will end with a youtube video, but it's something I arrived at on my own and then searched for the viability of it, and yep - it works.

I have a SOG Fasthawk with my bag - tiny little tomahawk. Tiny enough that I got to thinking almost anything it did in terms of survival could be done by my Schrade SCHF37 in terms of chopping and batoning wood. I decided I either needed to get rid of it or go bigger. Since weight was a concern I was leaning toward doing without.

Then I started thinking "If I carry a bowsaw blade - slip it right in against the back wall of my pack (and they come in different lengths to fit many kinds of packs) and taped up the edge for safety, could I find a sturdy green branch when I get where I'm going, slit the ends, force the blade in there, and secure it with paracord?" Seemed like a rather obvious plan, so I was wondering why I'd never heard it as a prepper staple. I must be missing something, right?

Apparently not.

Incidentally, Harbor Freight has a 21" bow saw for $7 (don't forget your coupon!) that comes with an extra blade. You could have a whole saw for home and a blade for your pack.

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-inch-bow-saw-66545.html

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal