Author Topic: Suggestion for a good, sturdy, cheap workbench, reloading bench, etc.  (Read 3212 times)

Lilburner

I was trying to come up with a sturdy workbench for my garage for a reloading press and for bolting down vice, grinder, etc. I went to Lowe's today and was pricing 3/4" hardwood for the top.

Then I went in to Goodwill and found this for less than a piece of plywood cost. It's an old commercial drafting table. It's all steel and has at least a 1"+ hardwood top with some padding on it. You have to figure these probably aren't used any more and people would be getting rid of them. It's made with the top and frame as separate pieces, which is great, or it would still be on the truck. But I'm eventually going to wind up joining them when I bolt through it.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

bountyhunter

Re: Suggestion for a good, sturdy, cheap workbench, reloading bench, etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:12:39 PM »
Good Deal! I wish I had a Goodwill closer than 40 miles!
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

jimLE

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »
great deal on that..i have a home made work bench from old and still in good shape non treated lumber,that i made myself..and right now.it's mostly a storage area.  :D
be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6..
expect and prepare for the worst.and hope for the best..

wiseguy

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:58:09 PM »
Made my over built work bench years ago out of 2x12's for the top and 2x6 for the legs.  It doubles as a good place to hide under in an earth quake.  :-)

jimLE

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 09:43:54 AM »
the one i have now,is made from 2x4's...the bench top of my last one.was made from the wooden frame of a water bed..while the rest of it was made from 2x4..
be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6..
expect and prepare for the worst.and hope for the best..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal