Author Topic: Kerosene storage  (Read 2329 times)

wiseguy

Kerosene storage
« on: April 12, 2016, 11:02:11 PM »
I have a gallon jug of kerosene that I got from Walmart.  I tried pouring it into a hurricane lantern and even when using a funnel, the fuel poured out of the container and dripped down the sides.  I am glad I was outside with all that fuel leaking.  Does anyone have a recommended storage container with a better pour spout, or maybe there is a pour spout that will fit on the container. 

Thanks

Lilburner

Re: Kerosene storage
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:36:45 PM »
Not really a storage option, but there are two qualities I've come to like in fueling funnels - wide and long.

The wide mouth gives you a hell of a target, and a long funnel gets it up high enough to where you don't have to try to "meet" your pouring target with the container. As soon as fluid starts coming out, you're right there with the funnel.

I tried pour spots on jerry cans, but wound up preferring funnels.

I used the exact jug of kerosene you describe when I brought some alternate fuel heaters down the the QSO party on Sunday and didn't spill a drop using one of these.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

jimLE

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 01:40:24 PM »
what lilburner said.and you might try setting the hurricane lantern on a low sitting bench/table,or a stool to bring it up away from the ground.then lean the hurricane lantern towards the Jerry can as you go to pour it..i have a 2 piece funnel,that screws together..that allows me to go with a short or long funnel..
be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6..
expect and prepare for the worst.and hope for the best..

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »
And both Harbor Freight & WalMart have them that long..........with a flex neck!   

Makes it perfect for those hard to reach log splitter oil intakes, or batteries where you really don't want your water jug over the whole battery.   I love them so much I bought 4 for gas, oil, water and a spare.

The newer 'safety' spouts just........stink.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal