Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Thor managed to find some tall, 3" straight trees in the woods.  We needed to thin anyway and plan to open up some.  Along with the two umbrella stands, we now have the chicken area covered with the netting.
Last night, there were coyotes down in the fields below our 3000 ft high home.  I have never heard that many.  The cows must be calving.  Some lead needed to be wasted to keep them off the mountain.  That was actually at four this morning, in a full moon.    Wonder who was doing all the shooting?  It was 47 degrees.
Georgia / SEPN Georgia Region 6 Meeting for April 2024
« Last post by VoodooMD on April 24, 2024, 07:12:14 PM »
                                   Hello to all SEPN Georgia Members and Georgia Region 6 Members!

Hello ALL!!--Please accept my sincere apologies for getting this information out so extremely late and so close to our April 2024 scheduled meeting this coming Saturday!

I promise to do a much better job in getting the information out in a much more timely manner in the future! 😊

We here in Region 6 got our March 2024 monthly meeting “kicked -off” with our presentation:

THINK GRID DOWN: “Safe Water Procurement/Treatment/Storage of Potable Water:  
                         "What Are You Gonna Do When it Comes to Safe Water to Drink and Use?"

We had many various water storage devices and containers from various members and from USS for display and demonstration and discussed the various possible ways to make water safe for consumption and use in a GRID DOWN situation!!

The one presentation that absolutely “stole the show” was the “hands on” demonstration of a chlorine-producing unit that was demonstrated by Georgia SEPN member RWS!!

After his presentation and demonstration-- I-- along with many others, DEFINANTLY put this item on our personal “MUST HAVE” PREP LIST!!

One OUTSTANDING presentation RWS --and we here in Region 6 GREATLY appreciated it!—along with the chance to meet your wife as well! 😊 Please ALWAYS feel free to “drop in” on us anytime we have monthly meets in the future at USS!!

 As I have mentioned in past posts before--we as so very BLESSED to have such GREAT members here in the SEPN Georgia Region 6 area-and other regions her in Georgia —ALL of which who are a “wealth of knowledge” and “true experts” on this particular topic and many other numerous preparedness topics!

After the official meeting--we all sat down and had the wonderful opportunity to partake in our “Spring-Time Pot Luck Luncheon”. As I said before and will say again: We have some OUTSTANDING cooks in Region 6 here and if you came and left us hungry—it was your own fault!-- LOL!!!!  Thanks so very much to all who participated in the GREAT fellowship and “breaking of bread” with us!

 We also have been TRULY BLESSED to have such a wonderful place at “Uncle Sam’s Surplus” to hold our monthly SEPN Region 6 meetings in the past --and for 2024 and beyond! The folks at USS have always provided EXCELLENT SUPPORT in the past to our SEPN Georgia Region 6 meetings and to all of us Region 6 members --and have ALWAYS assisted us in any and all of our “meeting needs” for equipment or class presentation items for our use! They are absolutely # 1 in customer service!!
 Thanks again so much to Alex, Shelby and Nick, and all the USS crew for your continued support to us for our monthly meetings in the past --and going forward! 
                                                                         YOU GUYS ROCK!!

I would like to take the time now to personally THANK-YOU ALL who came and supported us with your attendance and participation with our past monthly meetings and looking forward to meeting, learning, and participating with you all again in 2024 --and beyond!  Our numbers are growing—and its showing!!

 As I have said in past postings and at numerous past meetings --It’s not me--it's YOU ALL who make it all happen for ALL of us!! ---and for that I and my wife are most grateful!!

We both feel GREATLY blessed to know each and every one of you and greatly appreciate your willingness to share needed knowledge, experiences, and advice! May God Bless You All!

 In keeping in the mindset of “THINK GRID-DOWN”-- we have decided to discuss the topic of safe operation/set-up/storage and maintenance of portable electricity generators as our presentation for April 2024

Take care all and God Bless! ---See you all there at the meeting in April!!

Rhett/Voodoo MD
===================================================================

Next SEPN Georgia Region 6 Meet
When: April 27th   2024
Time: 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 noon.
6230 Hawkinsville Road
Macon, GA 31216

TOPIC: “THINK GRID DOWN” 
                                                     Portable Generators 101:
                     Safe operation/set-up /storage/maintenance of portable electric generators

As ALWAYS--SEPN Georgia Region 6 monthly meets are open to EVERYONE from ALL SEPN Georgia regions and to ANYONE interested in becoming more self-sufficient for themselves and their families!!

Gardening/Farming / Re: Garlic Question
« Last post by 8greenbeans on April 24, 2024, 02:43:25 PM »
Same as everyone else... never soaked, plant in the fall!
Homesteading / Re: Where To find tall poles to hold chicken netting overhead.?
« Last post by Abigayle on April 24, 2024, 09:44:04 AM »
Fix it, this is so funny. We have two umbrella holders that the owners so kindly left behind for us to dispose of (among other things).  I thought about covering the two with old greenhouse fabric for shade in their yard.
Surveyor, I have used bamboo in the garden in the past, but it just holds up so long.  Maybe with the quick Crete it will last longer, but then you have to deal with getting them out.  Maybe making an indentation, removing the pole letting it dry and putting it in.
Thor mentioned going to thrift shops and looking for deflated volleyballs....oh dear....how to draw attention to your chicken run and house that you tucked away some.  Thanks, guys..
« Last post by Abigayle on April 24, 2024, 09:30:39 AM »
Surveyor. 1 I have never soaked my garlic cloves before planting them.  This was a newer crop for me, six years ago.  I have planted it ever since, doing both spring and fall crops.  When we lived forty minutes south of Atlanta, I planted two patches in raised beds, side by side.  One was hard neck the other soft neck.  I didn't have to dig them, since the soil was soft, so I could just pull them and shake them off.  When I pulled them and laid them on top of the soil, I could see that the soft neck bulbs had more that developed larger heads, but not to any extreme.
If you are using your new beds and your soil is light, you can plant the a few inches closer, since you won't be using a fork to dig them.  For those who are new with growing garlic, remember to cut the bloom off the top as soon as it forms.  It sucks nutrients out of the bulb.  The bloom resembles a Cala lily.  Back to soaking,  Mother Nature may have put that thin paper film over each clove for a reason.  It is possible that the garlic would grow faster at first, but may open an avenue for disease.  I still have two cloves left from last year that I missed, and six half pints of canned, maybe more.  I would never can them again; too much work, just store them right.
Homesteading / Re: Where To find tall poles to hold chicken netting overhead.?
« Last post by Fixit on April 23, 2024, 07:20:43 PM »
Bamboo was my first thought also . But being a first class scronge  .my second thought was watching peoples trash after a wind storm for the poles from patio table umbrellas .
« Last post by RWS on April 23, 2024, 04:38:27 PM »
In South Ga. I plant my garlic in the Fall.  Soak?  Never heard if it......Mine just comes up when the soil temp is right at least that is what I thought.  It will be Fall before I can experiment..
Gardening/Farming / Garlic Question
« Last post by Surveyor1 on April 23, 2024, 03:51:50 PM »
Do y’all soak your cloves before planting, if so how long and do you add anything to the water?  Thanks as online there are so many opinions and different methods.  I would much rather trust someone that I know that has experience. 
Homesteading / Where To find tall poles to hold chicken netting overhead.?
« Last post by Abigayle on April 23, 2024, 02:32:41 PM »
We have a 48 inch  tall electric fence, around our chicken yard. It is solar powered.  We also have a run from the chicken house, where we can contain them in a smaller space.  Recently I bought a huge amount of plastic/nylon/? two inch netting to cover the whole yard.  We started out attaching to trees, but we don't have a clean shot from one end of the large area to the other.  We can't get the ceiling as high as we would like, in order to walk under it.  I also plant grains and have sand baths that need to be serviced. Of course, we have to get at the birds!
After searching on line, I have been unable to find tall poles, with a ball on the end, that can be pounded into the ground, to hold up the netting.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  It would not have to be made for this purpose.  We are considering using 7ft saplings, putting them a foot in the ground and using a little quick create.  We start ed the project, attaching to larger trees, but can't complete this method successfully.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  The objective is to keep birds of prey from swooping in at will.  Thanks for reading and thinkings this through with us!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal