Author Topic: Running out of book space?  (Read 2790 times)

crplhood

Running out of book space?
« on: August 03, 2015, 07:48:44 PM »
Are you a technologically minded preparedness expert? Does your PC control the angle of inclination on your solar panels? Do you have FLIR built in on your phone? If so, you probably this covered too! If not, however, how would you like a way to access any information you want to keep handy, while also controlling the security of the device on which you keep said information? Got an old PC lying around and some hair to pull out? Then check this out!
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2243748/turn-old-pc-hardware-into-a-killer-home-server-with-freenas.html

So, most off-grid preppers have no use for something like this, but I do. I run a server attached to my network so I can keep much more data for my wireless cams. You may want a very secure way to store prepping info, pictures, or whatever creative use you come up with. Does require that you will have power after deploying your preps, but if you are making your own power, you will way the cost yourself.

Lilburner

Re: Running out of book space?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 09:23:00 PM »
I have a monster server too for media storage (It's not even running a free OS), but a "big fat hard drive" would fit most people's backup and archiving needs and are easily ruggedized in small Faraday cages.

The 5TBs are stupid cheap these days. I got this one as part of a "portable computing kit" when it was $129 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JT0EGPW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00. You can get them even cheaper, but one thing I did was make sure I was getting one that was natively 12V. That will come in super handy if it eve needs to go off grid.

I have it attached to a $50 Windows 8.1 7" tablet in a camera bag that's powered by USB, so now I'm working on battery power for the combo so I have an off grid wireless backup server (when it's not in the cage, of course). If all your computers get wiped, the tablet actually serves a a full working Windows computer, albeit a little clunky to use. Otherwise, you can just plug the drive into whatever's handy and go to town.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

cope

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 01:41:43 PM »
Very cool yeah I too have a home server. It stores everything from computer backups, family photos, videos, music, and of course files.
I used to use a drobo then several drobos now I use a synology 8 drive system. I also use multiple rokus in the house to serve media thru the house via plex to play movies and music.
Files are backed up on my computer, the synology nas and an off site backup as well. My synology is attached to a mac mini.

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:02:46 AM »
Ok, this sounds interesting but I think I need step by step instructions on what y'all are doing and how I can back up my stuff too.
Ravenwood

crplhood

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 03:44:27 AM »
Very cool yeah I too have a home server. It stores everything from computer backups, family photos, videos, music, and of course files.
I used to use a drobo then several drobos now I use a synology 8 drive system. I also use multiple rokus in the house to serve media thru the house via plex to play movies and music.
Files are backed up on my computer, the synology nas and an off site backup as well. My synology is attached to a mac mini.

Nice! I have a Cisco Pix525 feeding a few different Procurve switches connected to a CentOS box running full LAMP, a redundant Win10 XAMPP, Dell Poweredge T320 for spinning up VMs, and a Raspberry Pi2b Media Server. We have a rack of Drobos at work and those things are rock solid. They require no upkeep for us, why'd you move to synology? Capacity?

cope

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:36:55 AM »
Yeah the drabs are limited to a 20 tb single volume. Unless you buy their 8 or 12 bay drobos. So if you have a 5 bay drobo and stick 5 6tb drives in it you are still limited to a 20tb single volume. Even though technically you could have had a 30tb. Its a limitation of drobo.
The synology 8 bay allows me to have up to a 96tb volume so I can upgrade my drives to larger capacities as they come out.
The 12 bay has some ungodly over 120tb volume limit so I could grow even more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal