Author Topic: Situational awarness... Car stickers could lead to car break-ins.  (Read 3806 times)

wiseguy

Situational awarness... Car stickers could lead to car break-ins.
« on: September 07, 2016, 02:14:37 PM »
I ran across this article where vehicles with hunting stickers were being targeted. The theory is that people that hunt might have expensive hunting gear in the cars, or even guns. 

There was another posting on Facebook where a guys truck was broken into and his bug out bag stolen.  It was under the seat and couldn't be seen from outside.  It seems the thief skipped other items in the truck.

So this brings up the questions of opsec, or operational security.  What does your car say about you.  Are you armed, and NRA member, hunter, soccer mom?  How many kids do you have, do you travel? 

Another issue is not to share too much with people about what you have in your cars and homes.  Are you leaving on vacation soon, or are you currently traveling.  You don't want to risk people thinking you are an easy target when you are on vacation or away from your car. 

Just some thoughts...

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2016/08/24/hunting-vehicles-targeted-thieves/

BennyMG1

Re: Situational awarness... Car stickers could lead to car break-ins.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 02:30:48 PM »
Yes!!! I read a similar article year's ago. I will never put any type of sticker on my truck....not even a parking decal from work. A wealth of information can be deduced from things people stick to their car....family size, place of employment, career field, whether or not the person has guns, what type of car insurance they have, etc. All it takes is someone to decipher the clues.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

florida44

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »
I agree. The only sticker I keep is the blue and black strips of the friends of cops sticker in hopes of getting a pass when I get pulled over and I am a friend of cops soooo. It doesnt work by the way, the sticker getting me a pass  ???

I am a firm believer that everything you think and do should not be on display on your car or truck.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 03:46:22 PM »
Yeah, that meme going around with the bears looking at the stick figure 'menu' shown on the back window was kinda scary.

But I agree, even down to the kids honor info from schools.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »
Have had that practice for a long time. Have plenty of stickers and such, just do not need to advertise what could be inside my vehicle. It is a unfortunate it has to be that way, and also sad.
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 04:51:29 PM »
I put a bumper sticker on my very first car. Hated it. That was the end of that.

Oddly, the only one I've ever wanted since would probably go against this - a "Rifleman" window decal
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 07:11:35 PM »
yes that would mean something for sure. I actually always appreciate when I see a veterans armed forces affiliate sticker, like the Marines. But even then that could lead to problems.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

tlwagg

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 12:59:58 AM »
I always thought putting the sex and sometimes general ages of your kids was the dumbest thing you could do. It lets some creep know you have small children in your home. I have a lot of cool stickers sitting in a stack but won't us them.

We live in a nice neighborhood but we have had a lot of car break-ins in the last few weeks and one stolen. In fact our next door neighbor's car was broken into they were out of town but got video. The guy was so claim and took his time going through the car. The police have told us that they have a group coming in from Atlanta hitting all the neighborhoods around us about twice a month. One man had his car and BOB stolen but they dumped the BOB a few streets over. The car was found in Woodstock. We've also had some break in's. They will knock and if no one answers the kick in the door. Some folks are slow getting to the door and find men in their house. It's not getting any safer out there.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

wiseguy

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 11:08:03 AM »
Out of full disclosure I had to look at my car to see what it says about me as well.  I have a marathon magnet and a Krav Maga magnet.  I would hope someone might read that as someone that is physically fit and knows how to fight... (maybe not...especially if you have seen me)  :) 

On the note about people breaking into homes, reinforce your doors with longer screws, at least 3 inch long screws on the strike plates for the door handle and deadbolt locks.  Then do the same for the door hinges.  This will make kicking in a door so much harder.  Of course if the bad guy can simply smash the glass and open the deadbolt from the inside, that wont help much. 

I put door locks on some of our interior doors as well and put the longer screws in.  If I am traveling, my wife locks those doors as well to keep bad guys away from her while she gets her gun.  Another note is if you plan your retreat location in your home, try to pick a location where the door opens out.  You can't kick in a door that opens to the outside...or at least not very easily.  You are kicking it in the direction that it closes. Add a simple door handle lock and it buys you time. 

Country Singer

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 12:52:15 PM »

Of course if the bad guy can simply smash the glass and open the deadbolt from the inside, that wont help much. 

The solution, double cylinder deadbolts:

“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

tlwagg

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 01:07:53 PM »
The first thing we did when we moved in was to change the locks to the double cylinder deadbolts and re-key the rest. I'm not too worried hubby has cameras up and has added motion sensors and a sensor on the mailbox that alerts us when it is opened. It's so wired now that a rabbit can't hop across our yard without us knowing about it. (The rabbit was here at 5:17 yesterday morning and a cat dropped by at 6:05 this morning.) We're good here but the neighbors are a another story.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

wiseguy

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 02:35:26 PM »
Double cylinder is the way to go.   :)

Lilburner

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 03:32:08 PM »
I grew up with double cylinders.

... and had a key sticking in every inside lock.

At least you can take it out when you go on vacation or whatnot.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 05:39:31 PM »
See folks, you never know when you share who will learn something.

I was so proud of myself for immediately changing all the locks when I bought the farm, using  3" screws on both doors, but it's always bothered me that the doors have windows.

Next project will be double cylinders, thanks!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

BennyMG1

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »
I don't like the double cylinder locks due to egress problems in an emergency such as fire. If you decide to leave the key in the lock on the inside, check to make sure it's a newer one. Do this by leaving the key in and turning the lock with a screwdriver from the other side. The older ones (and some of the newer cheaper ones) will open . I discovered this because my house in Macon had those. I left the key in all the time. Imagine my horror when I discovered you could turn the lock from the outside with a screwdriver.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:32:46 PM by BennyMG1 »
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal