Author Topic: Forgot about this board...  (Read 128 times)

8greenbeans

Forgot about this board...
« on: April 03, 2024, 10:14:36 AM »
We moved from Georgia to Texas last June. We are in North Texas region.
Went from a 2 acre farm to a tiny HOA backyard due to hubby's health (long story) and we needed to be right up under the children that were here already. I started out this lifestyle in military housing without any use of the yard allowed, then an apartment with use of a balcony, then an hoa neighborhood with a wee yard space, then an hoa neighborhood with a large backyard space, to finally the farm..... and now back to an hoa with a wee space. I've done it before, I can do it again... and this time for just me, hubby, and my dad.

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
9 GrandBeans + 1 on the way
4 Beans-in-law + 3 Future-in-laws
1 MrBeans

Abigayle

Re: Forgot about this board...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2024, 11:39:46 AM »
8 Beans, I know you can do it.  Your are intelligent, creative and not afraid of hard work. I am sorry life has dealt this hand to your family, esp. at this time.  You will fair better then most, due to your prepping and knowledge, to survive.
We made the choice to leave yet another farm.  I feel like the feminine version of Johhny Apple Seed.  We have left four farms, after planting orchards, vineyards, large gardens and finally, medicinal herbs.  We traded that life for a spot on top of a mountain, made of rock.  It's not perfect, but in a safe area, with a much lower threat level.  Three of our raised beds are up and growing.  They have covers.  We have two more to construct, fill and plant.  Our strawberries are in a ring, potatoes in a pot, as is the rhubarb.  I have pots of herbs growing and more to plant. out. There is a flower bed in front of the house that can accommodate lavender, echinacea, corendia (sp) and a few others.  Thor and I are moving huge pots in and out of the mud room to the patio as weather allows.  They are mostly peppers and tomatoes.  I have about a dozen more to plant.  So we both prep differently now, but we know all the different ways to do it, and have a good head start.  You are lucky to have a military family, that is a priceless skill.  Ours are in heaven now.  Take good care and stay safe.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 06:35:46 PM by Abigayle »
Ariel

8greenbeans

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 12:58:25 PM »
Awww thank you  :) we are both container gardening now for different reasons! I think it's going to be a fun experience as I'm already enjoying it. Sure it's different than in-ground gardening but it's satisfying in its own ways. We shall persevere!

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 01:22:43 PM »
The area we were in for our first short-term rental, apparently was specifically set aside for veterans. My dad learned more about it than I did though. I can only remember him saying that after one of the wars, that the entire town was divided out and each veteran was given so many acres - 5 or 15, I can't remember now. It was really neat to find out.

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
1 MrBeans

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 01:24:33 PM »
Ladies, I could weep at the fact that all of this is getting to be just too much for me alone to do. 😢
I am just telling myself to do what I can and forgive myself for not being 30 something anymore.
Facing getting older and inevitable death is hard. May God comfort us and give us courage to do what we can do and fill in as He sees fit. Sorry to be so sad today, I had to get my son to put down my oldest hen. She was suffering and I don’t want that. Send me a hug via your thoughts please. ❤️
Ravenwood

Abigayle

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2024, 07:00:27 PM »
Ravenwood, Sending hugs across the miles!  In ground gardening is hard on the body.  I used to have a very little tiller to go between the rows.  Hand weeding got very difficult.  Ever think of joining our raised beds club? I should have a knee replacement.....should...should.
I know how attached you were to that old girl of yours.  She out-lived some of the younger ones and you gave her a good life.  Our seven week old chicks went into the coop without my having to catch half of them and toss them in, before others could come back out.  All I had to do was open an outside nesting box top, throw in a little homemade bread and tomatoes.  They also wanted a little pet.  I didn't want eleven chicks. To order in Feb. that was the lowest number they would ship.  I told myself that I would sell the three I was least fond of... April 3rd, have not been able to pick out three...what to do.
Thinking about your cataract surgery, keep us posted.
About the work, do what you want to do.  You know you can always can without something from the garden; sausage sounded really good!  No one is watching you, no one is judging you, this is not a contest and you are not running for office, so relax.  You can always plant a chicken patch and let it go wild.  You are just three years behind me, and doing it alone.  I know that was not the plan.  Get your stitching out and put your feet up!

8greenbeans

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2024, 12:53:55 AM »
Oh Raven, this is exactly why we are where we are. No matter the cause, the fact of the matter is MrBeans' body is breaking down and falling apart. He aged 15 years in less than 2. We are both all too aware of the inevitability of death. So now I am doing this all alone, physically, sooner than I had ever thought I would be.
I think Abigayle is correct - join us in the raised bed/container gardening club! Pare down what's not necessary. You've been doing this for years and are far ahead of many. I've admired you since I met you all those years ago :)  You don't have to be strong all the time - lean on us, your son, and the good Lord. Many hugs for you <3

USMC Veteran
LEO & USAF Vet Mama
Navy MIL
Army Daughter
8 Beans + 1 BonusBean
1 MrBeans

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2024, 08:05:48 AM »
Thank you, thank you so much dear friends, it meant the world to me to receive your comfort and support. Would that we were all close together and could work in tandem, the struggle would be less. Sending you love from my little corner of the world. ❤️
Ravenwood

Abigayle

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2024, 09:49:09 AM »
8 Beans, For many years, you have lead all your little beans, in the way they should go.  I pray they will be there to help you now.  We are keeping you and Mr. Beans in our prayers.  People plan, God laughs.  We know he has a plan, yet we raise our hands to the sky and ask why.  We are human.  One day at a time, is all we are promised.
I am sure I speak for all on this site when I tell you that our spirits are behind you and sending wishes for strength in very difficult times.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal