Author Topic: Is this a black rat snake?  (Read 3138 times)

ProGeek

Is this a black rat snake?
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:12:29 PM »
This guy is hanging out in the goat stall.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:14:59 PM by ProGeek »
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

joebob

Re: Is this a black rat snake?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:31:06 PM »
Looks like it. It would be good to keep around to keep the rodent population under control. But if you have chickens I have been told they will eat eggs and small chicks.

florida44

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 04:31:16 AM »
looking at shape of head pretty sure not poisonous but I am no expert. When I see or hear of a snake I go running and screaming like a girl so I never get a good look!!!  :-[
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

SS-Preppers

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
That's what it looks like to me.......they have just a very faint patterns on the underside and the rest is all black............

ProGeek

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »
It has a faint brown pattern and white chin. We are going to try relocating it from the stall.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

Nemo

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 01:05:07 AM »
I see no venom indicators.  Head shape has no triangle to it and (from what I can see) pupil shape is round.  Either of those is definitive.

Look him in the eye, if round pupil, no venom.  If slit like a cat, surely venom.

Coloring also indicates no venom. That color it could only be possibly a cottonmouth.  But headshape voids that.  A cottonmouth that large would be serious triangle head.

If you get him safely in hand, look at his underbelly.  See below.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

florida44

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 06:14:14 AM »
yep good luck with that. I never intend to get close enough to see THAT part of a snack, venomous or not!
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Starlady

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 08:57:05 AM »
Seriously, don't pick it up to check underneath.  That's how something like 75% of snake bites happen, either from a 'hold my beer' moment or someone thinking they've killed it & try to pick it up.

Yes, it sure does look like a rat snack.  They are constrictors and in addition to your eggs and little chicks they WILL strangle a medium size chicken (I've seen pics).  One I had was curled up in the coop and tried to present itself as a rattler, head up, tail shaking.  While they aren't venomous, the bite DOES hurt, I'm told and you run the risk of infection.

Amazon sells 4' snake tongs if you want to move it.  The only time I ever ordered GUARANTEED overnight from them, lol.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Nemo

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 09:11:04 AM »
yep good luck with that. I never intend to get close enough to see THAT part of a snack, venomous or not!

That was the response I expected.  HeHeHe

But really, the only snake you need fear is the Snow Snake*.  Ga is too warm in the winter to have any real threat of those so you are good.  We have very few in Va but if you get up way up north they are rather common.

Nemo  8)

*snow snake threat is they sneak up your pants leg, crawl up your backside and freeze you to death
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 09:13:55 AM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal