Author Topic: Fall 2017 SEPN Camp Out- Storage Food Taste Test Sign Up  (Read 2601 times)

Country Singer

Fall 2017 SEPN Camp Out- Storage Food Taste Test Sign Up
« on: July 18, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »
OK y'all, I'm going to try to set up a taste test of storage foods so people can try them out at the camp out. 

EDIT: We'll have the taste test on Saturday afternoon.

If you plan on bringing some type of storage/survival food for folks to try, list it in a reply to this post so we don't have duplicates.  Having said that, make sure to list both the brand and the type/flavor/dish; that way if we can compare the same item from two different manufacturers...I wouldn't consider that to be a duplicate, since they may be radically different.

Don't feel like you need to bring and prepare a massive quantity, e.g an entire #10 can of Mountain House.  A pouch or two of whatever should do!  This is not intended to replace a meal or feed everyone at the camp out, it's just an opportunity for people to sample things they may be considering stocking or may have already put away but have no idea how palatable it actually is.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 01:17:27 PM by Country Singer »
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Country Singer

Re: Fall 2017 SEPN Camp Out- Storage Food Taste Test Sign Up
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 12:15:15 AM »
I'll be doing two dishes:

- Patriot Pantry "Blue Ribbon Creamy Chicken Rice"

- Patriot Pantry "Traveler's Stew"
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:21:18 AM »
I have something to add.

I have something called "Heatermeals". They're commercial/consumer MREs. We've pondered their viability here before.

Gwinnett County Emergency Operations gave them to ARES members when they expired. They're still in the period where they're known to be good, but you know - government. I have a bunch, though, and I'm thinking I'm supposed to use them by winter or spring. I should have enough for everyone. I'll post more details when I get home and put my hands on them.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

florida44

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »
I will have to look and see but I am sure I can find something to contribute.
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »
I have a couple of Mountain House pouches to sample, will have to go and look at the names of them.
Ravenwood

Starlady

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 09:23:57 PM »
I'll bring a bunch of Honeyville Dehydrated Butter.

And some water.

And some fresh French or Italian bread to try it on.....and clear your palates as you sample along.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 02:08:32 PM »
Update on the commercial MREs. they're called HeaterMeals EX. there should be plenty for everyone to have one - of course with other food, some people will want to split them, but you can play with the heaters and whatnot - decide if they're a viable prep.

They all expired in May 2016. Everything I've said says they go two years past expiration, so they'll be fine, but it's a good time to get rid of them.

I'm not sure how many flavors I have - I grabbed these three out of the the 30 or so.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Wabbit

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 08:25:50 PM »
I am bringing Mountain House Beef Stew.   
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out there to kill you. "  (Mel Gibson~Conspiracy Theory)

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 01:38:08 PM »
That was fun!

Patriot Pantry took kind of a beating in the judging. Wise and Mountain House fared well.

I had never tried the Heater Meals and was pleasantly surprised. the one I had I'd put on par with a "box mix" you'd make at home. Some commented that they got much hotter than military MREs. they double as a hand warmer! They were literally hard to handle after coming out of the included heater bag. I needed to get rid of these because of the age, but my plan is to get some new ones (stated expiration is 5 years and we've pretty much proven they'll go two more) and keep them in my winter car kit. even if you weren't stranded in a ditch, I can think of times an impromptu hot meal might be just the ticket.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal