Author Topic: Storage Ideas Please  (Read 1842 times)

Starlady

Storage Ideas Please
« on: August 29, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to store my long term stuff.

I started out with all the food groups in their own place, the batteries/lights/extra cords, etc., clothing, etc., etc.   Then I decided it would be better to put things by x-dates in separate piles (batteries, food, etc.) and either way is not very convenient when I run out of something and need to hit the storage or it's time to rotate.  So I went back to all of a kind in one area.  My concern with this is if a tree falls on one of the bedrooms - I'm out of jam, a different room and I'm out of veggies.   I'm down to keeping a list on the fridge:  beef, pork, chicken, soup, veggies, jams, batteries, etc. but still feeling disorganized.

Anyone have a better solution?
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Lilburner

Re: Storage Ideas Please
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 07:56:54 PM »
Don't know what your budget is - is digging a root cellar/underground storage an option? You wouldn't have t worry about trees and housefires, and depending on your elevation, it could stay dry. It could also be somewhat hidden comparatively.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »
From the research I've done my slopes won't work, they are all south or west facing - good for growing stuff but not a root cellar.  Under the house would be perfect temp & humidity wise but I'm on a crawl space and it would have to be dug by hand, plus maybe some foundation work.

Thanks for reminder, though, guess I should just bite the bullet and get a contractor out here for a real quote, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be more than I want to spend.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SS-Preppers

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 11:17:30 AM »
From the research I've done my slopes won't work, they are all south or west facing - good for growing stuff but not a root cellar.  Under the house would be perfect temp & humidity wise but I'm on a crawl space and it would have to be dug by hand, plus maybe some foundation work.

Thanks for reminder, though, guess I should just bite the bullet and get a contractor out here for a real quote, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be more than I want to spend.

What is your clearance in your crawl space?  I would think that if you in a solid floor (concrete) and then build walls and a ceiling that is super insulated and has a very good vapor barrier you could make a great little root cellar.......I would think the key would be the insulation of the walls ceiling......so the air is matching the temp of the concrete floor.............you could start out small 5x5 or 10 x 10 and then just build more over time.......kind of like a storage shed in your crawl space..........just an idea........I am sure if you Google it there are hundred of thread about it.....I can't be the only one to think of something this basic.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 01:31:07 PM »
6 ways to store eggs.  Not including the frig.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal