Author Topic: Harbor Freight.....  (Read 6057 times)

Gunner

Harbor Freight.....
« on: August 20, 2015, 02:48:06 AM »
I know that some people are thinking that its just cheap junk at Harbor freight.... but you can get multiple packs of five pair of gloves at a good price.  They have premade nut and bolt assortments in plastic boxes ready to go, along with hitch pins and other items.   These are things that should be put in box and pulled out when you bug out.... do you know what you'll need ?.... what about the person on your right ?... they can also be used for barter items, you just never know.
U.S. Army Signal Corps
U.S. Army Ordnance Corps
KK4KUB
Region 7, Georgia

Amish

Re: Harbor Freight.....
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:27:37 AM »
I go there everyweek because I take a coupon for the free item and always buy something inexpensive to get the free gift. At this point I have a hardware store in the workshop.  I was able to get Florida44's UTV back up and running next day by having the parts to rebuild a shifter cable that would have otherwise been a dealer part. You just never know what part you may have/need when the SHTF that will fix something that makes your life alot easier.

florida44

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:14:08 AM »
I go there everyweek because I take a coupon for the free item and always buy something inexpensive to get the free gift. At this point I have a hardware store in the workshop.  I was able to get Florida44's UTV back up and running next day by having the parts to rebuild a shifter cable that would have otherwise been a dealer part. You just never know what part you may have/need when the SHTF that will fix something that makes your life alot easier.

And just so everyone knows, he repaired it because he broke it  8) 8) 8) And I am holding his quad hostage until I get her back!
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Amish

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
Really......did anybody get the license plate on that bus that just ran me over. lol  Just to clarify and keep my good name. It broke while I was on it not that I broke it. :P

florida44

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:07:11 AM »
She isn't an it and the unhappy incident happened while you were driving...............
Region 2
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
Here's a page you can keep on your phone and always have the latest 20% or 25% off coupon. You don't need to print them. Just tell them at the register you have a coupon code.

It's also got all of whatever is free at any given time, but you have to print those off.

http://www.dealsoff.com/harbor-freight-coupons/
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BlueOrchid

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 10:35:09 PM »
I love Harbor Freight!  Cable ties....  various size rachet clamps....  drill bits.... tarps....  LOTS of tarps...  freebies.... garden hose sprayers....  gloves....  and on and on.  I especially LOVE my variable speed multi function tool.  Don't know how I managed without it before!   

I have to ration myself before I even step in the store.  What's interesting is that the lifetime warranty 'made in China' HF hand tools are every bit as good as the 'made in China' Craftsman tools from Sears - at HALF the price.  What's not to like?   ;D

Nemo

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 12:06:27 AM »
Whats not to like?  Having to go back once a month to replace 2-3 tools you got that broke.  If you fish them out of the pond where you threw them when the third one broke that day.

Nemo

If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Amish

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 05:14:01 AM »
Maybe I am lucky then. I have had no problems out of any of mine. I have been running a small 1000 water generator for about 4 years now and it is still going strong and I use it alot. The only issue I have had was muffler bolts backed out on me. I put a little lock tite on them and have had no problem since. I also use non ethanol gas which cuts done on the crud in the carb so I am sure that helps.

BlueOrchid

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »
Whats not to like?  Having to go back once a month to replace 2-3 tools you got that broke.  If you fish them out of the pond where you threw them when the third one broke that day.

Nemo
Wow.  Sorry you've had such trouble.     :(

I've been buying from HF for well over 10 years now and have only returned 2 items in all that time.  One plastic rachet clamp that split, and a pond pump that quit working after a few hours.  Both items were replaced with sound replacements and no questions asked. I've not had one single hand tool fail me yet.  But then again, I'm super easy on my things, most of which look brand spanking new after years and years of use.  Sometimes, it's just the luck of the draw.  I seem to have drawn well.   :P
 ;D

Nemo

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »
I got frustrated once and wore out a Craftsman hammer once. 

Nemo   8)

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 10:28:18 PM »
To borrow a phrase from Nutnfancy, it's all about "Philosophy of Use". There aren't a lot of things there that professionals in a given field are going to want to use. But they put tools within reach of the homeowner that they're never going to use enough to wear out.

Then there are some real gems and true turds mixed in.

The generators and floor Jacks are top-rated, for example.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 11:03:05 PM »
Then there are some real gems and true turds mixed in.

The generators and floor Jacks are top-rated, for example.

I have had good luck with those thing.  But as far as the basic hand tools, the ones at HF do not have a clean end.  If you want good ones, it will cost you more money but if you want/need long term reliability there is one word-- Craftsman.

Nemo

lets_prep

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
We purchased a generator from there last year. We keep it inside a small heavy duty plastic shed and darn if that HF smell just lingers.  :o
Region 7

stvr

• Global Chairman & Region 5 Leader
  • Global Moderator
  • Bugged Out
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 09:12:25 PM »
We purchased a generator from there last year. We keep it inside a small heavy duty plastic shed and darn if that HF smell just lingers.  :o
[/quote

craftsman ok, snap-on better]
stvr
USMC Retired - NRA Endowment Member

"There is no better friend... and no worse enemy than a United States Marine."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal