Author Topic: Source for awning rail and awning welt?  (Read 3038 times)

Lilburner

Source for awning rail and awning welt?
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:39:55 PM »
A little birdie told me someone had access to super low priced RV parts and accessories, but to talk about it there would have sullied up a pretty critical thread with too much distraction.

I'm about to buy a length of each - I need 12 feet. Looks like they tend to come in increments of 8, so 16 feet probably.

Here's where I'm at now if I order from my source I already have.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

Re: Source for awning rail and awning welt?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 08:29:37 PM »
Measure the awning you need.  I can most likely get one complete ready to slip in the channel on each end.

As far as the rail, I need more details as to what you need.  Different places call the same parts different things.

Give me a link to the pages you have there or some such so I can see them and get the info.

And I agree with the sullying.  Thats why I took the the hard right to get it back on line.

I googled the item names and numbers, came up with the right stuff I think.  From http://www.rochfordsupply.com.

Based on the limited info so far,  I think if you are looking to put an awning on your camper you will be spending more and working harder than just getting the standard setup.

Nemo   8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 08:35:28 PM by Nemo »
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »
What does a "complete ready to slip in the channel" one even involve? The channel (I assume what you're calling channel is what I call rail) is the bulk of the expense.

The only ones I've seen beyond DIY tarp awnings are called "bag awnings" and those stay on all the time. Not what I want.

So if I have to add channel, anyway - I'm 95% of the way there. I have tarps, ropes, and poles. I don't even specifically need the welt. You can sew a piece of rope into the hem, but I figured the welt would be smoother and slipperier in the rail to aid in one-person setup.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 09:02:39 PM »
Next time you pass a camper, parked or on the highway look at the awning on the passenger side.  I am talking about the channel that screws onto the camper and all the rest of the fittings.

One that does not stay there will be a royal &(^*$#@&%*  PITA when you try to get it set up.  Been there, done that.  Not a way to go.

See link below for good set up.  Give me a length of what you want and I will look for a price.  IIRC you would need about 12-13 feet max?

Nemo

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/dometic-sunchaser-patio-awnings/51656d

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 08:37:23 PM »
I definitely don't want something on there full time.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:18:38 PM »
Why not?

Nemo

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 10:30:11 PM »
Stealth, in a word.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »
Get the one I suggest and a good vinyl paint and camo it.  Look at all the fun you're missing out on.  Or a group paint at a park camping trip.

As far as towing and general noise, visibility or such, I think you are losing very little stealth if any.

Nemo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal