Author Topic: 12/9 check in  (Read 1261 times)

joboomartin

12/9 check in
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
Just wanted to check in to make sure everyone made it safely though the snow. We got about 4 inches and when the sun went down the roads were horrible. Be very careful tonight with the temps being in the 20s and all that melting snow freezing!!

Starlady

Re: 12/9 check in
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »
I'm good up near Cedartown. Just over 11" of snow.  Lots of small/medium branches down but my big trees are all still standing.  Lost power about 24 hrs ago and there are a boatload of small (<50 customers) outages within 15-20 miles of me so it must be trees.   We don't get plowed or sanded so where the sun doesn't hit will stay frozen slush for today and at least tomorrow.  The area looks like I'm more in Colorado than Georgia, LOL!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »
Only got a dusting this morning thankfully and since the sun came out all traces are melting, yah!
Ravenwood

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
It's all clear here. Rain washed away any frozen precip from hard ground yesterday afternoon for good. My own experience and forecast were why I didn't postpone the party sooner, until I fired up a TV and looked at the state as a whole.

I had precisely THE worst timing. I went out and tried to switch my trucks on my steep driveway, making an absolute frozen wet mess of myself, nearly busting my ass more times than I can count, and actually slipping off the driveway in my pickup, carving a path through the yard and getting the driveway all muddy...

At which time the rain came and washed it all away, never to return.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:34:26 PM »
Came up to R2 last night. Wasn't sure what to expect. Didn't see a speck of precip the whole way.

Got the wood stove going as the only heat source. Even lasted overnight on low without the central heat kicking on as backup. One good thing about being an over 50 male - you can add wood overnight without it being a special trip. I just threw in one log and closed it. Still coolish comfortable this morning with a 2" solid bed of coals ready to start the day.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Starlady

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 05:19:04 PM »
I sooooooooooo understand that it's not a special trip!   Kitchen/library area was at 65f when I got up, I don't usually refill the library stove after stuffing it and going to bed and I remake the fire when I get my coffee made.  The bedroom was a toasty 72f.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal