Author Topic: Cast iron kettle. Bad idea?  (Read 2585 times)

Lilburner

Cast iron kettle. Bad idea?
« on: December 15, 2017, 08:21:10 PM »
I found a cast iron kettle at my parents house. I thought "That will be awesome for my wood stove!"

Well it's unseasoned-looking, and marked Made in China.

Wouldn't that rust like nobody's business?

I think it's supposed to be just decorative. Can't really season it.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Nemo

Re: Cast iron kettle. Bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:49:13 PM »
Yeah, Id be real careful with that.  Maybe use it build a fire in?

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 06:16:52 AM »
Something to put your rocket stove in as a windbreak?   It may work OK.  Wash it out good.  Use it in processing your used grease/cooking oil in.  It will slowly become seasoned.

Country Singer

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »
My understanding is that the cast iron kettles were only used as a method for keeping some humidity in the house. 

https://www.hunker.com/13420046/how-to-care-for-a-cast-iron-kettle-humidifier
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 05:48:17 PM »
Something to put your rocket stove in as a windbreak?   It may work OK.  Wash it out good.  Use it in processing your used grease/cooking oil in.  It will slowly become seasoned.
Dpn't know why, but I was thinking cast iron dutch oven.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 08:47:05 PM »
My understanding is that the cast iron kettles were only used as a method for keeping some humidity in the house. 

https://www.hunker.com/13420046/how-to-care-for-a-cast-iron-kettle-humidifier

Mine's the exact some one from the beginning of that post. I guess it's easier to keep seasoned than I thought. I have to take it off and drain it is the key. Apparently I need some sort of instrument to track humidity. I'm not a real good judge and then my heels split in half.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 10:03:40 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:38:49 AM »
We use a cast iron vaporizer.  It is hard to visualize so I took a picture.   The wood stove is the main heat when temps get in the 30's and below.  Central heat pump does not do well at all when it is cold.  Works wonders when there is no power from winter ice storm.  Stove has ash drawer on bottom so it's easy to empty with a fire going.  Stove has a catalytic element to burn off gasses, ect.  Keeps the chimney pipe clean.  In South Georgia you don't find houses with wood stoves much.  Since I built my own house I wanted heat without utility power.  I guess I was a prepper 30 years ago.  A couple years ago I added a 1-1/2 ton heat pump split system.  It heats the back part of the house (kitchen - Radio room) and is off grid powered.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 06:51:34 AM by RWS »

tlwagg

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 09:39:10 AM »
My mother in law gave me a big kettle and told me that it was used for the humidity not for drinking water. They do sell some small cast iron tea kettles if you want something like that. Those will run about $75 -$100.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

John Galt 1

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 04:55:15 PM »
I've got one like in your picture.       Once a year I coat it with oil and toss in in the oven at 350 degrees for a few hours to keep it rust free on the outside.      The inside would probably also stay rust free but I then keep it on the stove all winter adding moisture to the air and the inside coating flakes. 

A friend simply sprays his with black stove paint once a year.      But either way I think the coating would impart a nasty flavor to any water you tried to drink.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal