Author Topic: A "secret" basement.  (Read 3159 times)

Lilburner

A "secret" basement.
« on: January 29, 2018, 06:25:17 PM »
I think I may have had a really good idea. Surely it's been done before, but I wouldn't know what to name it if it has.

I've been spitballing future plans for the BOL, almost all of which involve tearing down the mobile home that's there and building a home.

I'm a HUGE fan of basements, but it's not really a basement lot.

Then I got to thinking - surely there's a such thing as a basement that's just completely underground with no doors or windows. It would stick up a few feet and just look like a concrete block foundation.

It would be perfect for storing food and supplies and such, and allow for a smaller house.

Even better if there were no visible entry in the house. You see what I guess are basements like this in movies - I remember one specifically in Evil Dead 2, where you pull a ring handle in the floorboard and the stairs go down.

Anyone know if there's a name for that kind of thing? Like cellar vs basement? But the cellars I think of have those exterior doors at ground level.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

joebob

Re: A "secret" basement.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:59:37 PM »
I would be worried about how to get out if there was a fire.

SS-Preppers

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 09:45:31 PM »
Up north almost everyone has a basement.....there is no such thing as a basement lot.....however, it is code to have a secondary means of egress....everyone called them cellar doors....poured concrete steps with double metal doors on about a 15 degree angle....I'm sure you would run into the same issues with building codes here.....also, if the lot doesn't slope, you may run into issue with water intrusion....Georgia clay does not let the water drain down very fast.....you would want to make sure they put a very thick membrane on the exterior of the walls.....once a basement starts to leak you are in trouble....it becomes a life long battle.....sump pumps, dehumidifiers....all the things you don't want in a grid down situation.

upacreek

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
We grew up with the basement SS-Preppers is talking about.  It had a half window on the back along with the metal storm doors and another half on one side of the house.  My parents couldn't claim the basement bedroom as a bedroom because the 1/2 window didn't qualify as an egress (even though my brother was able to crawl out plenty of nights).  That was in '91-'92.  The rooms were legal to have, they just couldn't be called bedrooms. 

Would no doors or windows be a root cellar?  I always thought a bunker under a house would work.  Your tornadoes scare me, but so does the idea of my house picking up and landing on my "safe" room in the cellar. Something really solid would help me sleep better at night.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Fixit

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:36:37 AM »
The second exit need not be obvious . One of my friends has an exit that looks like a concrete pad for a BBQ grill . The pad was pored in a frame with rebar and a hinge pipe in one corner .A hallway and steps lead to this exit from the basement .

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:50:57 AM »
Yeah definitely want a fire exit.

Now I'm curious about a tunnel.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

ProGeek

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 11:12:21 AM »
On the Blaze network a guy buried a container next to his basement and had an exit under a green house that was built attached to the house. So your exit could be to code for inspection. Then add a green house or deck to conceal the entrance.
If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 02:38:21 PM »

A tunnel could also be used for ventilation.

tlwagg

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 05:02:31 PM »
My B-I-L who is a real estate appraiser, once told me that in Georgia we have to have what's called a daylight basement, (lots of windows). You want to add a root cellar not a basement. That should get you around the rules.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

joboomartin

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
I have been working out plans for a root cellar but I cant figure out how to keep the cost down. Earthbags maybe?

Still waiting on someone to comment on the whole "Evil Dead 2" basement thing. I just found it too funny

tlwagg

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 09:18:26 PM »
This is the one I want.
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners." - Charlton Heston

engineer3d

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 09:37:32 PM »
The root cellar / secret basement / fraidy hole sounds like a very good excuse to buy a 4 wheel drive tractor w/ a bucket on front or rent a bobcat and have fun.

Country Singer

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 07:40:54 PM »

Here's a tutorial on building your secret tunnel.

“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Starlady

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 10:29:10 PM »
Ilya Kuryakin!!
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

Nemo

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »
Secret Agent Man
They've given you a number, and taken away your name

Nemo

If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal