Author Topic: Free maps for every state  (Read 5288 times)

aces

Free maps for every state
« on: March 09, 2018, 02:59:10 PM »
We were cleaning out a bank closet and found a map of Atlanta that has to be about 30 years old (approximate age of our building.)  It does not show GA 400 on it, and there is no "Spaghetti Junction" or "Cobb Cloverleaf" on it (completed in about 1986 when I first moved here and lived nearby.)

So I took it home because my husband and I are map nerds.  He won't go anywhere without a physical "chart".
(He should have been in the Navy.)

That made me think about how many state maps I have collected at visitors centers over the years.
I keep doing it to make sure there is nothing "missing" that has been built in the meantime.
However, old maps sometimes show things not on newer maps like abandoned railroad lines, mines, and ghost towns.
So don't throw those out if still useful that way.

Here is the state source for a free map for every state in the Union in case you plan on bugging out, visiting, or moving permanently nearer your family.
https://www.heyitsfree.net/free-state-maps/

Lamination is much cheaper these days, and Kinkos does a great job if you take it there.
I bought an affordable laminator (about $15) at Aldi for all the things I do for my job, church, and family history
handouts and binders I am making.   

I keep unlaminated state maps in our vehicles and laminated versions in our go bags.
(My husband does not like trying to refold laminated maps, but I need some waterproof ones.)
I have cut down some maps before laminating to make them easy to handle and store.

I once saw the silk scarf maps styled after those from WWII, but I have not looked into it lately.
I'll post here again if I find a good source.

bountyhunter

Re: Free maps for every state
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »
I use white PVC to put a lot of my maps in. Just roll them up and put them in there with caps on both ends. I do the same thing for my hand held radio antennas (spare) as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 05:43:51 PM by bountyhunter »
Watch your six!
ARRL VE
W5YI VE
Ham Radio General
Region 4 Moderator
US NAVY (RET)
"Never miss the opportunity to train"

Country Singer

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:29:07 PM »
I'm fond of mytopo.com for maps as well.  You  can order them customized for specific areas and have them either laminated or printed on waterproof stock.
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Ravenwood1950

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 04:42:37 PM »
I looked at the map for my area but it will be too large. Is there a way to get a smaller area in great detail, such as a mile or two from your QTH? This would be all a MAG could hope to protect/guard.
Thanks,
Ravenwood

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »
I think Countyr Singer hit the nail on the head.  Looks like you can order what ever you want.  Zoom in or out  then order ?  Take a look.

Nemo

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 09:46:47 PM »
I sent in a half dozen requests on the state map thing last evening.  Lets see what comes through in the next couple of weeks.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 03:16:36 PM »
I would LOVE to have a local wall map, but that site didn't suit my needs. The elevation is so random and the canopy so persuasive, that no combination of aerial or topo maps without roads and markers works for me.

I'm looking for other custom options, but haven't found anything yet.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:22:18 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Country Singer

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 06:49:52 PM »
Lilburner, have you tried the USGS site?
“Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place.
If victorious, we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.”

Lilburner

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
Thanks for the tip on that. I'll check it out.

I'm going to move this thread to media. Not because this isn't a good place for it as a general thread, but I'm going to pin it as a permanent resource.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal