Resources > Product Reviews

Review: Harbor Freight Receiver Mount Vise Plate updated (Clearance)

(1/1)

Lilburner:
Thanks to nj_m715 for originally bringing this to my attention.

I had a vise to mount, and was planning holes, specing bolts, etc. - probably the better part of $10. Then I'd more or less permanently lose some workspace, and I don't use a vice a tremendous amount.

I just happened to revisit the Harbor Freight page and it just seemed stupid cheap. $14.97. I got in the truck and went to Harbor Freight. It said "clearance" on the price tag. I don't know if they're not getting any more. I don't know how much it used to cost. But I grabbed the hell out of one of the two they had. They've discontinued online, apparently, so you can only get it in-store.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-mount-vise-plate-66260.html

One thing I didn't notice before was the big rubber pad in it. that's nice - about 1/8" thick, and it will help you snug your bolts and keep them tight.

It's surprisingly well made for the price, but I don't know how much it used to cost. It's a steal at $15.

The only drawback, such as it is, is that the included washers are too big to sit down flush in the recesses on my vice, which, curiously, only has three mounting points. Not sure if that was for cost cutting or in case you needed to access that dimension. the nuts are nylon lock nuts, so I didn't screw them on past the nylon. I'm going to get some smaller washers - possibly lock washers. (The front bolt in the picture is only through the plate. Note the back bolt is at an angle because the washer won't lie flat)

There are two holes you can mount it in with the included hitch pin. They give you a pretty generous amount of working room.

All in all, I'm super happy. the only downside is the working height, but I can grab a stool or even st on the ground. If I'm going to be at it too long to bend over. This way I can use it at either location or anywhere in between or in the field - the original context was talking about building ARs at the campout.

I don't know if they're going away, but if they don't go away, I don't know that they'll be $15 again. I'd certainly grab one if you see the usefulness of it.

RWS:
Well I got one the first time around.  I also found a vise with 4 holes that would line up.  I took them to the campout, but did not get any use out of them.  They are a good item to have around the shop.

nj_m715:
bolt one of these under your work bench for home use

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-lb-capacity-step-bumper-receiver-67159.html
(also use that to attach your winch to your trailer)

or you can just clamp it down to a table for temporary use

Fixit:
A lot of times with HF clearance or closeout means the next shipment has a revision on  design .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version