Author Topic: Help me say goodbye to my truck.  (Read 1622 times)

Lilburner

Help me say goodbye to my truck.
« on: July 19, 2018, 10:07:26 PM »
Bye old truck! I hardly knew ye.

Had it a year and ten days. The one before that I had 21 years. This one was a mere fling.

A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

BennyMG1

Re: Help me say goodbye to my truck.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »
Getting something bigger???
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 11:50:38 AM »
My suspicion tells me something diesel, maybe made before computer control fuel injection??

Lilburner

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
Not bigger. And I already have old school non-EMP diesel.

The same, actually. Much newer, though, and with a small diesel engine - a RAM 1500 ECODiesel V6. I knew it won on paper, but I was concerned about sluggish takeoff - getting out in to traffic. It's actually zippier than my V8 off the line! Technology, I suppose.

It gets 30MPG Highway, as in the 150+ mile round trip to the Happy Placetm

I also gain 4WD while doubling my MPG. Win/Win. There's been a couple times my 2WD truck threatened to not make it up the muddy road.

I did a thread earlier in the year along the lines of "I like my truck so much I think I'm going to get rid of it. This is that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:53:16 PM by Lilburner »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 01:12:31 PM »
The downside?

I got ONE campout out of the $189 trailer brake I put in the darned thing. And now I have to do it again.
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 05:16:19 PM »
First trip to the BOL. 25.2 MPG.11 more than my old truck. Not the EPA-rated 30, but considering I was carrying the better part of 1000 lbs, had the AC cranked to max, drove about 20% on streets, and MAY have opened up the turbo a time or three, pretty darn close! Technically I got negative mileage. When I filled up near home, it said my range should be 420 miles. I drove ~80 miles and now it says I can go 469 more! My only question is why aren't all trucks this?

Im so happy!
~ Daniel Webster

Lilburner

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »
Woot! 2+ MPG gain. Two things taken out of the bed (one was a pressure washer which might have been hurting aerodynamics). I also found out there's two levels of AC compressor, so after the first 20 miles or so, I set it from "max to regular". It still wasn't perfect - got in to some real stop and go in a thunderstorm outside town. I bet I can beat the EPA 30 in the fall if I go at an odd time.

This is really closing in on double my old truck.

So I started after fill up with an anticipated range of 420 miles, drove ~175 miles, and now I'm at 440

Y'all excuse me - I'm just having fun here.

Just too bad it won't run on vegetable oil!
~ Daniel Webster

Asia_Off_Grid

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
New trucks are okay. But, old trucks have class that the new ones will never appreciate.
Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal