Author Topic: Fire ant control  (Read 6708 times)

lets_prep

Fire ant control
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:24:42 AM »
Any recommendations or experience with the products? We've got them on our property and hubby is going to build a hunting blind and we would like to not get bitten up while hunting!
Thanks!
Region 7

Nemo

Re: Fire ant control
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:28:22 AM »
Poison.  The most horrible, painful, suffering causing death making poison.

Yes I dislike fire ants.

Nemo
If you need a second magazine, its time to call in air support.

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

crplhood

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »
Don't quote me on this, but I believe the best way to rid oneself of fire ants is to liberally apply 2000lb dumb bombs to each colony on a daily basis until the infestation is under satisfactory control. Ironically, Also works on dictatorships, though not so effective on insurgencies..

crplhood

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
Oh yeah...Bayer brand fire ant poison granules. Looks like chicken feed. Works wonders. Careful using it around your garden as you don't want to kill off the black ants protecting valuable roots from grubs.

MoleStomper

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 11:55:39 AM »
I found Over-N-Out to be pretty effective.  It used to offer 1 year control, but it now is 6 months.  I put it out in the Spring and am good all year.

Lilburner

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:33:21 PM »
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

lets_prep

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 01:12:03 PM »
LOL

You guys crack me up!!

Poison is definitely on the list! I hate the suckers too.. got 3 bites yesterday! :(
Not worried about garden; don't have one out there yet and when we do it's not going to be anywhere near the blind.
Bombs are a little overkill; I want to keep the land intact. :D
Propane torch.. looks like it would be some fun but since it's a pasture, I'd hate to have it get out of control and burn down all the hay! :/
Region 7

Lilburner

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 01:24:50 PM »
It's actually a very concentrated flame.

It's made for shooting weeds in a yard. I have mine as a snow/ice prep.

It's such a small area, you could easily stamp out any embers when you're done with the ants.
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

Son of a son of the south

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »
Napalm... Large quantities of it applied liberally!

soasots
Politicians are like diapers.  They need to be changed regularly.

Nemo

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 04:04:11 PM »
Tried the torch on ants and weeds.  It does not work.

Nemo

Came into this world screaming, kicking and covered in someone else's blood.  Don't mind going out that way.

God made Man, Colt made him equal, Browning made that perfection, Gaston Glock turned perfection to plastic fantastic junk

crplhood

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
Tried the torch on ants and weeds.  It does not work.

Nemo

You have to use the torch over and over until you exhaust the plant. The point is to kill the plant without having to dimple the yard by pulling or using poison on the soil. You get the same effect by snipping them at the root. Takes patience but isnt very harmful to lawn

Nemo

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 04:21:32 PM »
I'll go with Round UP and a bare spot.

Nemo

Farside

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 08:26:33 PM »
 Both the poison mention about will do the job. But so will the control use of fire.  I'd push a hole into the mount, pour gas into the hole. Step back and lite.  Stand back and watch the ants burn.

crplhood

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 08:29:59 PM »
I'll go with Round UP and a bare spot.

Nemo
Me too, then again if I poison all my weeds, I won't have a lawn...just mud.

0dell

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal