Author Topic: First Aid for stings and insect bites?  (Read 2009 times)

Lilburner

First Aid for stings and insect bites?
« on: September 18, 2018, 10:08:20 PM »
I've never been stung much - maybe a dozen times not counting the time I ran over a yellow jacket nest with a lawn mower as a kid (Ouch!)

I used to get eat up with mosquito and insect bites as a kid, but not as an adult.

For stings, as a child, people always put tobacco spit goo on it. As an adult, I go straight to ice. So that's all I've ever done.

I was with someone this weekend who was stung by multiple bees. Since I had neither tobacco nor ice, I was at a loss for what to do. I've got some first aid training, and I have a pretty nice bag I'm building, But I couldn't begin to think of any ideas.

I DID think to ask if the person was allergic because I had liquid Benadryl available. Beyond that, I didn't know what else to offer.

As is my way, I don't plan to ever be unprepared again, so I started some studying.

I did most of the research on my phone, so I don't have all the links, but kind of the overview I found was

• Remove the stringer by scraping (not tweezing so as not to force more venom in)
  • Offer Benadryl even if not allergic because it reduces the histamines.
  • NSAID/OTC pain reliever
  • Cold pack (which I had with me, but didn't think they were cold enough)
  • Calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream

This would be for flying insect stings. Is there really anything you do for lesser bites - mosquito, etc?

How about scorpions? All the scorpions I've seen in GA are like 2" long. do they even sting?

Any other experience, thoughts, or comments?

Hopefully I'll be prepared for next time!
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

elandil

Re: First Aid for stings and insect bites?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »

This would be for flying insect stings. Is there really anything you do for lesser bites - mosquito, etc?

How about scorpions? All the scorpions I've seen in GA are like 2" long. do they even sting?

control the itch, manage the pain, thats about all you can do. Grandma was a firm believer in Green Brut aftershave to put on bites. Something about the menthol and alcohol in it was supposed to help.

Yes, the scorpions we have here can and will sting, it's about as bad as getting hit by one of those red wasps. Luckily the more venomous ones are out in the AZ/NM area, our's aren't lethal unless you are allergic.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:14:51 AM »
I am under the impression bee stings, wasps, ect.  consist of formic acid ??  So I would think that something that would neutralize an acid would work.  I go straight for the glass cleaner with ammonia.  Anything with ammonia an use a q tip to apply. 
Let's see if we can get Benny or Day 8 to chime in...

Starlady

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »
The only time I didn't have a reaction to a wasp sting was when I grabbed a leaf of plantain immediately, chewed it up a bit and put it right on the sting.  Pain relief in 30-60 seconds and only very minor swelling.  Usually the entire area swells up painfully tight within 1/2 day.

BTW, you only scrape for bees - wasps, hornets and such don't lose their stinger like bees, which is why they CAN sting you more than once.

I have found that both the usnea & plantain/dandelion salve help with itch and sting for any bites, I usually carry them in a pocket when I'm outside now.  Relief lasts 2-4 hrs but I don't mind reapplying since they DO work for me.
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

BennyMG1

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 09:03:30 PM »
I don’t really have anything to add above what lilburner found in his own research. That’s pretty much exactly what we do in the ER except we might give a shot of decadron or solumedrol, neither of which are available over the counter.
Trust, but verify. Russian proverb

SS-Preppers

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:19:50 PM »
I always have the topical benadryl spray or another product that they call an itch stick....the spray works the best....my wife is a bug magnet......

joebob

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 02:59:11 PM »
This was in my email today and thought it might be relevant.   https://morningchores.com/bee-attack/

jimLE

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 12:58:11 PM »
Ive used my finger nail to remove the stinger for years.simply by scratching it out.as if i was scratching a itch.then rinse n dry both hands.to make the stinger is off my hands.and remove any toxins i can.within reason.thhen i'll add anti itch cream n band aid if it's needed.
be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6..
expect and prepare for the worst.and hope for the best..

upacreek

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 03:13:04 PM »
It's December 2nd.  Bees and wasps should be home in bed by now!  I got my first wasp bite ever a couple days ago.  The little monster was on the back of a pack of tulip bulbs.  After stomping the assailant, I ran cold water on the finger he got a hold of for a few seconds.  I've heard of all the methods others have said.  You could also apply baking soda or charcoal mixed with a little water to draw the poison out.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

aces

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 12:14:42 AM »
I used to use meat tenderizer for bee stings, but it is no longer recommended.  Benzocaine and hydrocortisone for pain and itch in addition to neutralizing the acid as mentioned already. 

Those subject to anaphylactic shock still need epinephrin.  It is still $300 for a 2-pack for the generic version, but a 2nd company, Teva, an Israeli pharma company, released theirs to compete with Mylan's.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal