Author Topic: 25 Things We Did as Kids That Would Get Someone Arrested Today  (Read 1519 times)

Lilburner

25 Things We Did as Kids That Would Get Someone Arrested Today
« on: January 01, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
Good Lord. I did every single one of these things. A little light on the winter stuff having grown up in the South, but there was a snowball fight or two. "Sledding" involved large pieces of cardboard.

I once got a "paddling" at school because my knife was too long. I had to come pick it up at the end of the day... to take on the bus. This list doesn't even mention guns in cars at school.

http://www.askaprepper.com/25-things-we-did-as-kids-that-would-get-someone-arrested-today/
A strong conviction that something must be done is the parent of many bad measures.
~ Daniel Webster

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: 25 Things We Did as Kids That Would Get Someone Arrested Today
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 12:55:30 PM »
The high school I attended had a rifle team.  During the winter months you could take your 22 rifle to school on Thursday evening.  There was an indoor shooting range just off the lunch room.  You got to practice target shoot and then there was a shoot off.  The top 5 scorers made the team with 2 alternates for the weekend match with another school.
I can remember coming home at night and the car headlights would shine on a rabbit in the back yard.  I would stop, swing open the door and take a shot.  Very hard to see your target thru peep sights at night.
or
Putting on plastic face shields and having team war games using BB guns.  That was when you wanted to have on a heavy long sleeved shirt.  Now days it is paint ball.

elandil

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 02:12:37 PM »
well....i'm out on #25. Our school was 10 miles away, and we were country so I could add WWWAAAAAYYYYY more things to this list.

Things like cutting open shotgun shells to harvest the powder, and using it to make homemade "firecrackers" with some black water pipe and heated pliers...

making "Dukes of Hazzard" arrows for our bows with a BB glued to a shotgun shell primer with some of the powder still glued in behind it for the "Bang"

Camping involved either wrapping a pack of hot dogs in a blanket and pillow (sometimes with a snuck bottle of one of our daddys homemade wine), tying it in a bundle, and heading off into the woods with the parting words to our parents "Going camping" and not coming back to the next day...or adding a fishing pole and some extra gear and going down to the river for a night of fishing.

We didn't have streetlights, per se, but we did have car horns...if you heard the horn you better beat feet back home.

Grocery shopping being a once a week, or once every two week thing, depending on when payday was. Actually having a pantry and a weeks worth of food at a time.

Being sweaty in a hot kitchen, eating the soup that was being canned for lunch since the stove was full of pots either cooking or canning what just came out of the garden. Opening a jar of that same soup in the winter remembering fondly how hot that kitchen was because it's cold as heck right now.

Good times....

I miss those days.
http://www.georgiacarry.org Member and Recruiter

Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of brass.

KM4CUY

R-1

John Galt 1

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 11:47:24 PM »
We used to put tooth picks in our BB guns and play WAR.      I still remember the sickening feeling of pulling the toothpick out of my neck.

Remember wrist rocket sling shots?     We all agreed not to shoot marbles at each other, tiny rocks were ok though.

I was so proud of my wimpy little brother for throwing a decent punch that I told my mother the black eye had come from my running into a tree.

My parents used to make me give a "storybook" (10 pack) of lifesavers candies to kids I had hit.       The school was satisfied that that was enough punishment because i found it so humiliating.

All of the kids I raised "bounced well", they went down and bounced back up.     

But often "my kids" came home from school with whomy unrealistic feel good don't hurt peoples feeling ideas.      Lots of reality discissions around the supper table over the years.
Talk is cheap, Actions count.

jimLE

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 07:33:12 PM »
bb gun fight's only aim where the jacket is.got to walk to the loacle ymca after school.elementry at the time.camp out at the lake a 1/4 mile on weekends.shot squirrels with bow n arrow.then there's certain lines/sayings like.your mama.
be prepared,be worried,be careful..and watch your 6..
expect and prepare for the worst.and hope for the best..

primitive

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 09:46:23 AM »
I feel like I had a pretty tame childhood compared to my dad who grew up in the 50s and 60s, but even compared to me, kids these days lead disturbingly sterilized lives and are afraid of all kinds of unwarranted things. Hand sanitizer attached to every backpack, getting sent home for making a "gun" with your hands, all kinds of PC propaganda, and you could write books about the problems that come from being glued to TVs, smartphones, etc. I think the trend will reverse at some point. It will do so very quickly if there's any kind of significant disaster.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal