Author Topic: My friend in NC - Maybe a prepper ?  (Read 7223 times)

RWS

• Bugged Out
  • It's Weird being the same age as old people
Re: My friend in NC - Maybe a prepper ?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »
Well I just got home from NC.  We worked on my friend's solar system for three days.  That's all this old man could take.  I took him my 24 extra okra plants and 2 California Wonder bell peppers.  He planted them in his garden and I brought the seed trays back home with me.  He also gave us a bag of ramps and a bag of branch lettuce.  He said someone had already got into his ramp patch this year. 
Talk about living in the country.  They have a ground hog problem and you can not sneak up on them to shoot them.  So,  the lady of the house took out the screen window and raised the kitchen window about 6".  She keeps a loaded gun in the kitchen so when one runs across the open yard, she shoots it.  On the run!

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 07:10:10 AM »
While I was at Fall Campout my NC friend called the house and talked to the wife.  He was happy, happy.  He had gotten his power bill for $18.00 which is good considering he has a $25.00 meter fee each month.  He is now basically energy independent.  He has a way to switch power around for when the commercial power is out and power his whole house.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2021, 03:10:01 PM »
My NC Friend was not content with almost all of his power bill covered.  He has an electric welder and when he has a project going his monthly bill is around the $100 mark.  So he wanted a second inverter and a third solar panel array.  I pointed out his garage roof and since he now has roof install experience, he said he could do it.  He has the connex XW6848 times 2, a stacked pair.  I helped him set his network unit numbers to be different and set up the Master slave relationship.  I visited the other day to drop off 5 ea 14 ft rails he needed for the roof mount.  I always order the rails in a large qty bundle to save freight, then use off the inventory until it is depleted.  The long skinny rails cost a lot to ship.  He is adding an MPPT 60-150 charge controller and 9ea 400 watt panels.  400 x 9 = 3600 which is just what the mppt60-150 is rated for.  I told him he would never see 3600 watts out of his new array unless it was very cold with snow on the ground and the panels clear of snow.  Then due to the reflection from the snow he might see 3600 watts.  I told him he would see more like 2500 watts and occasionally a little more.  When complete he will be free of paying the power company anything.  The excess acquired in the Summer time should be available to use up in the Winter.  Solar panels are on back order and he should get them in another two weeks or so.  I will probably go back up there again in a few weeks in the camper and spend a couple days getting it all going.

RWS

• Bugged Out
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 05:26:07 PM »
I called my friend in NC the other day.  I had cancelled a trip up because of a storm passing thru.  Good thing I stayed home.  The forest service closed the campground due to flood danger and the road to my friends house was 4ft under water at a bridge.  He said he was without commercial power for two days.  His solar system worked perfectly and he did not have to touch a thing.   The only thing he said was his air conditioner did not work and the house got up to 84 deg F. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal